Easy Frito Pie is the best version of a classic, made in one pan, ready to eat in under 30 minutes! We love the thick hearty chili, gooey cheese, and crunchy corn chips!
I get really excited about this dish. For those of you that don’t know it’s a true comfort food classic for the Midwest and Southern states. It’s something that I grew up on, and you can get it at some fast food places as well as local diners. Frito chili pie consists of a super basic but hearty chili that’s nice and thick, cheese, and Frito’s corn chips. Back in April of 2017 I posted my Crockpot Frito Pie and it went crazy viral! Since we love One Pot Recipes just as much as you guys, it was time to turn this favorite into a simple, 30 minutes, skillet dinner!
What Goes with Frito Pie?
I pretty much consider this a “meal in one” and like to focus on some fun toppings! If you want something else on the side I’d recommend serving it with this tasty Spanish Rice! As far as toppings, these are some of our favorites:
- Dairy is always great here. Extra cheese of any kind like a Mexican blend, or sharp cheddar, or Monterrey jack. Sour cream is usually a must, and you could use plain Greek yogurt instead if you want, or even Mexican crema.
- Keeping with the tex-mex theme you could serve this up with some Guacamole, this easy blender Salsa Recipe or Corn Black Bean Salad for something nice and light.
- Other topping ideas are diced red or green onions, jalapeños, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and black olives.
- Because this is a quick cooking chili, you will want to use chili beans not pinto or kidney beans. The chili beans, undrained add a lot of good flavor to this dish. We like to use mild chili beans, but you can use spicy (hot) if that’s your preference.
- You need an ovenproof skillet for this to keep it a one pot meal. You can use a cast iron like I did, or a dutch oven. If you don’t have either, then you can start on the stove, and transfer the chili to a 9×9 inch baking dish before topping and broiling in the oven.
- Note that this is a very thick chili, which is usual for Frito Pie. If you haven’t made it before, don’t expect this to be very liquid like a chili soup.
- Hot sauce! I get asked what hot sauce I prefer all the time. Note that the hot sauce is optional but my favorite is always Cholula, I am super partial to it! You could use whatever your favorite such as Tabasco, Tapatio, or Frank’s.
- If you would like to make this ahead you can! Make the chili as directed, allow it to cool, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To freeze, store in an airtight zip-top baggie for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw the chili in the refrigerator overnight if necessary. Heat in a large ovenproof skillet on the stove, then top, and broil!
Easy Frito Pie
- Oven proof pan or 9x9 inch baking dish
- 1 Small Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Packet (2 TablespoonTaco Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 2 (15 Ounce) Cans Chili Beans
- 1 (8 Ounce) Can Tomato Sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons Hot Sauce optional
- Optional Toppings: Sour Cream, Diced Green or Red Onions, Guacamole, Lettuce, Diced Tomatoes, Olives.
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese
- 2 Cups Fritos Corn Chips
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced onion, ground beef, taco seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, breaking up the meat as you go for 5-6 minutes until no longer pink. Drain any grease if necessary, and return the meat to the pan.
- Add the beans and tomato sauce to the pan and stir to combine. Turn the heat to low and allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your ovens broiler to high.
- Top the chili with half of the cheese, then the corn chips, then the remaining cheese.
- Place the pan in the oven under the broiler for just 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings.