Tater Tot Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole – This tater tot breakfast casserole with ham is perfect for weekend breakfast and brunch, especially during the holidays! Or, you can make it ahead and have a great breakfast meal prepped ahead for the week! The absolute best ham and cheese breakfast casserole!
Here we are, just a few weeks away from Christmas! I should really be finishing up my holiday shopping, but I’m over here planning out our Christmas brunch instead.
I mean, I’m almost done shopping. I’m such a procrastinator! Maybe it’s because I’d always rather just cook than go out in a crowd and spend my money. Thank goodness for Amazon online shopping, am I right?
So, this tater tot breakfast casserole is kind of a staple in our house. We truly have it almost every weekend. But, something about it seems to taste even more special during the holiday season. Nothing like waking up to a hot, cheesy, breakfast on a snowy morning. *Praying for a white Christmas over here.*
Probably my favorite thing about a breakfast casserole like this is that it’s so versatile. Ham and cheese are definitely my favorite. But, you can switch that up and use bacon, sausage, veggies, or a combination instead.
If you and your family are holiday ham kind of people, this is a great way to use up that mountain of ham that always seems to be leftover! I mean, come on, nobody wants to eat a ham sandwich every day. This casserole is a much better option.
Let’s talk about what all goes into this dish, it’s as simple as can be (how I like it).
Tater tots get layered into a greased casserole dish with chopped ham and two kinds of cheese.
Then, simply whisk together eggs, milk, sour cream, and seasonings, and let it do its thing in the oven.
Or, you can cover the casserole at this point and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours if you would like to make it ahead for later!
The sour cream, in my opinion, is what makes my tater tot breakfast casserole so special! So, definitely don’t leave it out! In fact, I usually add an extra dollop of sour cream on top along with some hot sauce – ridiculously good!!
If you’re looking for other great casserole recipes, give these a try:
- Cheesy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
- S’mores Breakfast Casserole
- Chicken Pot Pie Casserole with Cheddar Biscuits
- Ham and Noodle Casserole
- Chili Dog Biscuit Casserole
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with Ham
- 1 Bag 30-32 Ounces Tater Tots
- 16 Ounces Diced Ham
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 8 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1-2 Teaspoons Hot Sauce, Optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the tater tots, diced ham, 1 Cup of cheddar, and 1 Cup of mozzarella into the baking dish. Toss with your hands to combine.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, sour cream, seasonings, and hot sauce if using.
- Pour the egg mixture over the tater tot mixture in prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, until golden brown. Top with remaining 1/2 Cup of cheese and return to oven for 5 more minutes until melted.