Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is the best breakfast or brunch! Full of tater tots, eggs, cheese, and your favorite meat like ham, bacon, or sausage!
I’m a sucker for a good breakfast casserole on the weekend! Probably one of my favorite things to do is have a relaxing brunch at home with my family and since we all already like classic Tater Tot Casserole it felt natural to make a breakfast version. I originally posted this recipe to my blog back in December of 2017, but I wanted to update it with a few new pictures and some more info on how to make this. If you’re looking for some more weekend breakfasts try out our Bananas Foster French Toast Casserole, the best homemade Breakfast Pizza that comes together in 30 minutes or so, and homemade Belgian Waffles!
How To Make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole:
I typically always use diced ham in this casserole, but you can also use a pound of crumbled cooked bacon, or sausage. Or, keep it meatless and add your favorite veggies if you’d like!
- Start by dumping your tater tots into a buttered 9×13 inch dish, and spread them into a single layer. Crumble over your choice of cooked meat, and two cups of cheese. Feel free to use any cheese combo you like as well! We love sharp cheddar, mozzarella, and moterrey jack, personally.
- Next, whisk together your eggs, milk, sour cream, and seasonings and pour evenly over the tater tot mixture.
- At this point you can bake, or chill for later.
- A note on the hot sauce, I don’t find that it makes the casserole spicy, and the brand I like to use is Cholula, it adds great flavor.
Can I Make This Breakfast Casserole Ahead?
Yes! You can make this ahead and refrigerate overnight, or up to 12 hours unbaked. If you want to freeze this casserole, you will want to bake it first, then, thaw in the refrigerator overnight, and bake as directed in the recipe card.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole with Ham
- 1 30-32 Ounce Bag Frozen Tater Tots
- 16 Ounces Diced Ham
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella or Monterrey Jack Cheese
- 8 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1-2 Teaspoons Hot Sauce, Optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the tater tots, diced ham, 1 Cup of cheddar, and 1 Cup of mozzarella into the baking dish. Toss with your hands to combine.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, sour cream, seasonings, and hot sauce if using.
- Pour the egg mixture over the tater tot mixture in prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, until golden brown. Top with remaining 1/2 Cup of cheese and return to oven for 5 more minutes until melted.