Chicken Pot Pie Casserole – This Chicken Pot Pie is creamy and comforting, while being made easy into a chicken casserole! Topped with cheddar drop biscuits that take only five minutes to make, this satisfying pot pie will be on your dinner table in 40 minutes or less! The best chicken pot pie casserole you’ll ever have!
Ok, before we talk chicken or pot pie or biscuits….let’s talk about back to school!
How are we all feeling this time of year? Have your kids started school already?
I swear that start date gets earlier every single year.
Now, typically I’m a total procrastinator.
My kids head back to school next week and so normally right now I’d be running around like a chicken with my head cut off still getting school supplies.
BUT, not this year. This year I was all “on the ball” you guys! We’ve had everything bought and ready to go for a few weeks now.
So, none of that running to every store in town trying to find the right brand of number 2 pencils! YESSSS!
All of that excitement leaves me more time to focus on the FOOD!
CHECK OUT OUR VIDEO FOR THIS RECIPE BELOW!
So, I don’t really know if this is considered a chicken pot “pie” because we have no pie crust here.
But, calling it chicken pot casserole….well, let’s just not.
Chicken biscuit pot casserole?? Nope, that doesn’t sound right either.
Anyway, this is my version of chicken pot pie that I’ve been making for years.
I skip the crust because I need to keep life simple when I want pot pie for a weeknight meal.
And, frankly, I kinda like the biscuits better!
If I’m in a real pinch, a can of refrigerator biscuits is great on this casserole as well.
But, really don’t be intimidated by these drop biscuits.
They take maybe five minutes of your time to make, and that five minutes is worth every last cheesy, garlicy, buttery, bite!
These drop biscuits start with melted butter, instead of cutting cold chunks of butter into the dough. That’s a total time saver right there.
The filling takes about 10 minutes or so, and is all made in just one single pot. Then transferred over to a casserole dish for baking.
If you have a dutch oven handy, you can make the filling right in that pot, and get it straight into the oven from there!
The filling is made from scratch, I’m not a fan of canned soups in my chicken pot pie.
I want it to have that really nice “homestyle” flavor.
I also use all frozen veggies in this recipe except for the green beans. I’m not a fan of frozen green beans, so I use a can. You can use whatever your taste buds prefer!
You and your family will LOVE this from scratch chicken pot pie casserole.
So creamy, so comforting, and on your table in 40 minutes!
Be sure to follow along with us on Facebook where we always share the best recipes!
Cheddar Biscuit Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
FOR THE POT PIE FILLING:
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Small Onion, Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- 2 Cups Shredded Cooked Chicken
- 2 Cups Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- 1/2 Teaspoon EACH Salt, Pepper, Thyme
FOR THE BISCUITS:
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Cup Melted Butter, 1 Stick
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
OPTIONAL BISCUIT TOPPING:
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Chopped Parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a 9x13 inch baking dish, or spray with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes until slightly soft. Whisk in the flour. Allow the flour to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk the chicken broth and milk into the flour mixture. Whisk constantly for 2-3 minutes while mixture bubbles and thickens. Stir in the shredded chicken, vegetables, and seasonings.
- Pour the filling into the prepared baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes before topping with the biscuits.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, melted butter and milk. Stir in the shredded cheddar.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven. Working quickly, use a 1/4 Cup measuring cup to drop the cheddar biscuits on top of the casserole evenly. Return to the oven and cook for another 15 minutes, until the biscuits are cooked through.
- If using the optional biscuit topping, whisk together all of the topping ingredients in a small bowl and brush over the tops of the cooked biscuits.
- Serve immediately.
If you’re looking for other delicious casseroles and comfort foods, try these:
- Million Dollar Chicken Spaghetti
- Ham and Noodle Casserole
- Cheesy Taco Hashbrown Casserole
- Chili Dog Biscuit Casserole
Recipe shared over at The Weekend Potluck!!