Favorite Grilled Shrimp is a fast and easy, 30 minute recipe that is perfect for summer grilling! This shrimp is buttery, tender, garlicky and loaded with flavor!
This is a go-to summer dinner recipe in my house! It's always in rotation along with our Grilled Chicken Thighs! You can easily prep the marinade and prep while the grill is heating up, making this a super fast dinner. Our marinade is simple, but so flavorful! We use a combination of butter, smoked paprika, plenty of garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cayenne, and of course salt and pepper! My favorite thing to do is to set part of the marinade aside. It is absolutely perfect for dipping the grilled shrimp in for even more goodness! So that you can plan ahead, keep in mind that if you use wooden skewers you will need to soak them in warm water for about 30 minutes before grilling. You can also use metal skewers if that's what you prefer! Otherwise, shrimp cooks super fast, only needs to marinate for about 20 minutes then takes 3-4 minutes per side on the grill!
Grilled Shrimp Recipe Notes:
- Shrimp can be grilled with or without the shell on! It's truly just preference, and some people like to leave the shell on because they think the shrimp comes out even more tender. So, peel if you want before the marinade, or don't and then just peel and eat!
- You will want about 1-1.5 pounds of shrimp, or about 30 total. This will serve four people, but you can easily double the recipe if you want more. I like to purchase the "easy peel" shrimp that have already been deveined to make life a little easier.
- Like I mentioned above, the marinade also makes a great dipping sauce! I save about ¼-1/3 cup of the marinade and set aside to dip the grilled shrimp in. Keep in mind that it will start to solidify again because of the butter. So, just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds before serving.
- 20 Minutes is the perfect marinating time for this dish. Marinate at room temperature for max flavor! You won't want to leave the raw shrimp in the marinade any longer because the citrus can break it down and make it mushy.
- Make sure you use FRESH citrus for this recipe! I typically always use lemon, but I have done orange and lime as well and they are both great! Just use fresh squeezed, and not from a bottle.
Favorite Grilled Shrimp
- ½ Cup Butter, Melted
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice, About one lemon
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1-1.5 Pounds Large Shrimp, About 30 shrimp total
- If you're using wooden skewers, soak them in warm water for 30 minutes to prevent burning on the grill.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, lemon juice, honey, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne until smooth. Remove ¼-1/3 cup of the marinade to a separate bowl and set aside for later.
- Add the thawed shrimp to the marinade and stir. Cover and let marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Lightly brush a small amount of vegetable oil over the grill grates to prevent sticking if desired.
- Thread the shrimp onto skewers. Grill each skewer for 2-3 minutes per side. Just until shrimp is cooked and no longer transparent.