Easy, tasty Breakfast Burritos that are hearty enough to keep you full and going all day! Make them with ham, bacon, or sausage for a variety of flavors. Make these ahead of time and toss them in your freezer for a quick and easy weekday breakfast!
I’m already not a morning person. Not even a little. I am fairly certain that my kids are completely terrified of me before I have coffee. With that being said, I need an easy breakfast for those mornings on the go… Cue my Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos! There are no frills to be found here. Just really easy, delicious, filling burritos that make mornings much smoother for me!
These just happen to be a favorite breakfast in our house! I’ve been making them up for years now, ever since my kids started school. Personally, I like that they are a great substitute for all of the sugary cereals. If you’re looking for more of our fave breakfast ideas try my Loaded Breakfast Biscuits or our reader fave, Belgian Waffles!
All you need to do to make this is scramble up a dozen eggs in a big pan. Make sure to use some butter so that you don’t hate your life when you have to wash said pan. Cook your bacon crispy or chewy, however you like it! Since these are customizable, you can use some deli ham or ground cooked pork sausage as well. Veggies are great here too, just sauté some peppers, onions, mushrooms or whatever you prefer. Cook up some frozen tater tots, wrap everything in a tortilla with cheese, and freeze or eat right away! Easy as that!
How to Make Breakfast Burritos:
- Preheat your oven and cook the frozen tater tots according to the package directions.
- Cook the bacon, ham, or sausage and tear into bite sized pieces.
- Scramble the eggs (with milk if desired).
- Warm the tortillas slightly (10 seconds) to prevent tearing when rolling the burritos.
- Place the tortillas out on a clean surface and top with scrambled eggs, meat of choice, tater tots, and cheese. You can enjoy these now or choose to use this as a meal prep.
- If meal prepping, roll each tortilla up burrito style and place onto a large baking sheet.
- Place the burritos into your freezer for 1 hour.
- Burritos may be individually wrapped after being frozen in plastic wrap, then placed in a plastic zipper bag. Or you can place the frozen burritos directly into a large plastic zipper bag.
- Keep the burritos frozen until ready to use.
- Microwave one frozen burrito for approximately 1-2 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Breakfast Burritos Recipe Notes and Tips:
- The best part about these burritos is how customizable they are. You can use any kind of protein you prefer. Switch out the cheese, skip the potatoes, or add some peppers or spinach to the mix.
- You don’t have to wrap each burrito individually in plastic wrap before freezing. If you know these will be eaten fairly quickly it’s easier to just place them in the freezer bag. This saves a few extra seconds on those busy mornings.
- You can freeze these breakfast burritos for up to 3 months. If not meal prepping, they will stay fresh in the fridge for about 3 days.
- You can reheat these burritos straight from the freezer. Place on a plate and heat for 1-2 minutes, no thawing necessary.
- Adding a little salt, pepper, and hot sauce to your scrambled eggs is a great way to add a little extra flavor.
Make Ahead Breakfast Burritos
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the bacon on a parchment lined baking sheet and cook for 15-20 minutes to desired doneness. Place the tater tots on a second large baking sheet and cook at the same time as the bacon to save time.
- Whisk together the eggs with the milk, salt, pepper and hot sauce if using.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour in the eggs and cook, stirring occasionally until the eggs are cooked through.
- Warm tortillas slightly (10 seconds) to prevent tearing when rolling the burritos.
- Lie tortillas out on a clean surface and top evenly with scrambled eggs, meat, tater tots, and cheese.
- Roll each tortilla up burrito style and place onto a large baking sheet.
- Place burritos into freezer for 1 hour.
- Burritos may be individually wrapped after being frozen in plastic wrap, then placed in a plastic zipper bag. Or, you can place the frozen burritos directly into plastic zipper bag.
- Microwave one burrito for approximately 1-2 minutes before serving. Or, toast in a skillet on the stove with a little butter or oil for a crispy burrito!
- BURRITOS LAST UP TO 3 MONTHS IN THE FREEZER.
Recipe originally published on September 2, 2016.