A super easy and healthy one pan breakfast! This dish is naturally gluten free, and packed full of Tex-Mex flavor!
Please say hello to your new favorite healthy breakfast!
This skillet tastes like a major guilty pleasure, but it's secretly just not bad for you at all!
My favorite part of this breakfast is that it takes about 10-15 minutes to prepare, which means I can make it on a weekday, no problem-o!
This skillet is full of scrambled eggs, bell peppers, onions, salsa verde, a bit of our favorite thing ever (cheese), and topped with crispy corn tortilla strips.
There's a restaurant here in my little city that serves a dish called "Migas" one of the best things I've ever tasted, and that is what I modeled this tasty goodness after.
I like to keep this vegetarian and serve it up with refried black beans. Even Dan the meat lover totally approves of this.
But, make it your own! If you are a full time carnivore, this is excellent with breakfast sausage, chorizo, bacon, chicken. You name it.
You can make this breakfast ahead of time on the weekend and have some tasty meal prep breakfasts throughout the week too!
Simply crisp up your tortilla strips and store them in an air-tight container or baggie once they cool down. Don't mix them in with the eggs and store in the refrigerator, or they'll be soggy. Make your skillet, divide it into containers, top with your tortilla strips when you're ready to eat!
- 3 Tablespoons Oil olive oil, vegetable oil, etc.
- 8 Corn Tortillas cut into strips
- Salt to taste
- 1 Clove Garlic minced
- ½ Onion finely chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Jalapeno seeded and chopped, optional
- ½ Cup Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded or other shredded cheese
- ⅓ Cup Salsa or Salsa Verde
- 8 Eggs Beaten
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tortilla strips and cook, stirring frequently until browned and crispy. Move tortilla strips to a paper towel lined plate and salt if desired.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, and jalapeno (if using) to skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one minute more.
- Add the beaten eggs to the skillet and cook until almost set, stirring in the vegetables. Season to taste. Remove skillet from heat and stir the cheese into the eggs. Top with salsa, and tortilla strips. Serve with beans, sour cream, tomatoes, hot sauce as desired.