Crockpot Sausage and Peppers – Tasty Italian sausage is simmered in the crockpot with marinara sauce, bell peppers, onions, and seasoning! This sausage and peppers make for an easy weeknight dinner served in a hoagie roll or over pasta!
How to Make Sausage and Peppers:
My recipe for sausage and peppers is made easy in the crockpot! You will want to use a 6 quart or larger slow cooker for the full recipe as it makes anywhere from 10-12 sausages.
The directions are pretty simple. You will add your two pounds of Italian sausage to your crockpot along with your sliced bell peppers and onions. Next, simply top with the marinara sauce and seasonings!
Then, you can cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours depending on when you want them ready. They turn out great cooked on high or low.
The raw Italian sausage is cooked right in the sauce and seasonings which makes it super tender, flavorful, and juicy!
What to Serve with Sausage and Peppers:
Sausage and peppers are truly very filling and you can eat it all on its own if you prefer. We happen to love it made into sandwiches on soft hoagies.
It is also great served with your favorite pasta or even rice to soak up that tasty sauce! Along with either making them into sandwiches or pasta, I like this served with a simple side salad or steamed green beans.
Can Sausage and Peppers Be Frozen?
Yes! Sausage and peppers freeze very well. Because this recipe makes a big amount it is great for a crowd, or to have leftovers during the week.
You can also cut the recipe in half if you prefer, but, a great way to make the whole recipe and save for another meal down the road is to freeze it.
If you’d like, you can cook as directed and then freeze either all of this or simply freeze half of it in a large zip top freezer safe bag.
You can also freeze this sausage and peppers before cooking. Simply divide the sausages along with the sliced peppers, onions, marinara, and seasonings either into one large or two freezer bags depending on how many meals you’d like to get out of it.
Whether this is frozen before or after cooking it will last in your freezer for up to 3 months!
Crockpot Sausage & Peppers
- 2 Pounds Italian Sausage Links
- 3 Bell Peppers, I use a mix of red and green Seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 Large Red Onion, Sliced into strips
- 2 Cups Marinara Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Each Salt, Garlic Powder, Italian Seasoning
- 1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, Optional
- 1 Cup Shredded Italian Cheese Blend, For serving, optional
- 10 Hoagie rolls
- Add the Italian Sausage to the slow cooker. Top with the bell peppers and onions. Sprinkle on the salt, garlic, Italian seasoning, and cayenne if using. Pour on the marinara sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- If desired, toast the hoagie rolls under the broiler for 1-2 minutes. Fill each roll with one sausage and desired amount of sauce. Top with shredded cheese and broil for 1-2 more minutes until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
If you’re looking for other crockpot dinner recipes try these:
I’ve shared this recipe over at The Weekend Potluck!