This simple Crockpot Salisbury Steak recipe yields perfect results every time! Seasoned ground beef patties are browned on the stove top first, then slow cooked to tender perfection in a mouthwatering creamy dinner!
I don’t think my childhood would’ve been complete without Salisbury Steak! Whether I had it served to me at the dinner table or in the elementary school cafeteria, this beefy entree (also referred to as hamburger steak) was a favorite meal of mine for many years growing up. Maybe it’s the Mid-Westerner in me, but I still make this classic, tried and true ground beef recipe on a near weekly basis! Oh, and if you love this American staple as much as I do, you need to also try your hand at Chopped Steaks and Gravy!
Why make Salisbury Steak in the Crockpot?
While I’ve never made a Salisbury Steak I didn’t enjoy, I think this Crockpot method of preparation might just be my favorite. After searing the ground beef patties on the stove top first and allowing them to brown on the outside, popping them into the slow cooker with a decadent gravy, onions, and mushrooms elevates it to another level of deliciousness! When cooked in the Crockpot, the patties are infused with savory flavors and cooked to tender perfection.
How to Make Salisbury Steak in the Crockpot
1. Start off by creating the beef patties. Stir the beef, breadcrumbs, milk, egg, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper together in a large bowl until combined.
2. Brown the patties. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat then cook the patties just until they form a nice brown color, about 2 minutes on each side.
3. Make the base of the gravy. Whisk the beef broth and mushroom soup together in a medium bowl.
4. Add the ingredients to your Crockpot. Add half of the mushrooms and sliced onions to your Crockpot and pour half of the beef broth mixture on top. Place the patties on top then add in the remaining mushrooms and onions and pour in the remaining beef broth mixture.
5. Cook. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours or on high for 4 hours.
6. Thicken the gravy. Remove the patties from the pot, then whisk the water and cornstarch together in a small bowl and pour it into the pot. Stir to combine, then place the patties back on top and push them down into the sauce to submerge them. Cover and let them cook once again for 30 minutes to 1 hour on high, or until the gravy is thickened to your liking.
How to Store Crockpot Salisbury Steak:
Once fully cooled to room temperature, you can store any leftover Salisbury Steaks you have in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak:
As previously mentioned, Mashed Potatoes are the BEST dish to serve with Salisbury Steak! Mashed potatoes plate perfectly with this easy beef recipe because they really soak up every last drop of that delicious gravy. You don’t want any of that going to waste! You can also serve it with egg noodles!
Ingredients Notes for Crockpot Salisbury Steak
Ground Beef - This is already a budget-friendly recipe, but you can make it even more affordable by using ground chuck.
Bread Crumbs - There are plenty of bread crumbs at the grocery store that have additional flavors like garlic and sea salt. For this recipe, use plain bread crumbs, and allow the seasonings to create the best flavor.
Vegetable Oil - You can use another neutral flavored cooking oil like canola or olive oil.
Crockpot Salisbury Steak
- 1 ½ Pounds Ground Beef
- ⅓ Cup Plain Breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1 Egg Large
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 ½ Cup Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 1 10.5 oz Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 8 Ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms sliced
- 1 Yellow Onion sliced
- ¼ Cup Cold Water
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- For serving: mashed potatoes and freshly minced parsley
- Stir the beef, breadcrumbs, milk, egg, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper together in a large bowl until combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal parts then form each part into a ½-inch thick patty.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat then cook the patties just until they form a nice brown color, about 2 minutes on each side.
- In the meantime, whisk the beef broth and mushroom soup together in a medium bowl.
- Then add half of the mushrooms and sliced onions to your crockpot and pour half of the beef broth mixture on top.
- Place the patties on top then add in the remaining mushrooms and onions and pour in the remaining beef broth mixture.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.
- Remove the patties from the pot then whisk the water and cornstarch together in a small bowl and pour it into the pot.