Crockpot BBQ Chicken is flavor packed, fall apart tender, and melt in your mouth good! Everyone loves this quick and easy to make weeknight dinner recipe!
Crockpot BBQ Chicken:
This is one of my family's favorite crockpot dinners! I love it because it's perfect for a small group, or it can be doubled to take to potlucks in the summer. It's a delicious recipe that works well year round. We have this one at least twice per month! If you have made my Pulled Pork, you're really going to love this chicken because it's modeled after that recipe. I've perfected my blend of seasonings and spices over the years to be perfect for any meat! You won't find a more juicy and flavor packed crockpot chicken than this one. I have tried over the years just cooking my chicken in the bbq sauce, but it really has better flavor to slow cook in a seasoning blend then add your fave bbq sauce when it's done!
What Goes Into BBQ Chicken?
I tend to always use boneless skinless chicken breasts here, but thighs work great too! You could honestly use bone-in (skinless) chicken and just get rid of the bones when you shred your meat! For the liquid mixture we use broth, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and a bit of liquid smoke. Don't be intimidated by the liquid smoke, it's easy to find at any store and is a great flavor addition here! Our seasonings are a simple mix of brown sugar, onion powder, garlic, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, cumin and a pinch of cinnamon. Don't skip the cinnamon, it's so good! It's optional, but you can add the dry rub to the chicken and refrigerate over night before adding to the slow cooker. It just allows the seasonings to sink in more, but it's good either way! NOTE: Your chicken will have more liquid than you see in the photo below. I had drained the excess liquid from the slow cooker before taking my pictures.
What Goes With BBQ Chicken:
- You can serve this with your favorite sauce and rolls! We really love the Hawaiian style buns with this! I do love homemade BBQ Sauce but if not using homemade Sweet Baby Ray's is the best! It's good with a simple coleslaw, dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, pickled jalapeno's and even some melted cheese!
- I also really love serving this chicken in tacos! You can use whatever burrito shells/wraps that you like. It is really, really good with a side of Mango Salsa or Pineapple Salsa to put on top. Trust me it's the perfect combo!
- You can make this into cheesy quesadillas, your favorite wraps with whatever veggies and cheeses you love, or throw some over rice! I like to have leftovers for lunch on a salad, sometimes with Black Bean Salsa!
- Some of our favorite sides to serve with bbq chicken are the very best homemade Baked Beans, a simple but amazing Potato Salad, or a classic Macaroni Salad is great too.
Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 2.5 Pounds Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Add the chicken broth, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke to the bottom of a 6 quart or larger slow cooker and whisk to combine.
- Lay the chicken breasts out on a large cutting board.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, cumin, and cinnamon.
- Season the chicken well, rubbing the seasoning into the meat on all sides.
- Place the chicken into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours until tender.
- Shred the chicken and serve in rolls for sandwiches, or tortillas for tacos with your favorite toppings.