Perfect Potato Salad is the best version of everyone's favorite spring and summer side dish! This flavorful and creamy potato salad is so easy to make!
Don't we all need a really great potato salad recipe in our back pocket for all of the summer get togethers? It's been a minute or two since I first posted my Creamy Cajun Potato Salad and last summer we put up our very best Macaroni Salad, now, it's time for the very best classic potato salad to shine! If you like my other cold side salads, you'll love this one too. I'm a huge fan of savory things like my Pea Salad, and less of a fan of that whole white vinegar/sugar combo. I definitely brought that up when chatting about my Cucumber Salad. This potato salad is so savory, tangy with dill pickle relish, mayo, dijon mustard, and just the perfect combo of seasonings. Please do yourself a favor and get all of these on your menu!
How To Make Potato Salad:
- Start with your 5 pounds of potatoes. I am not a fan of boiling them whole. Wash them, peel them, then cut into cubes that are about 1 inch. The cubes don't have to be perfectly sized, don't stress, just get them as close as you can.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water. Keep an eye on them, check them at 7 minutes, but keep in mind they may take up to 10 minutes. You want them just fork tender, otherwise they will get mushy when you mix the dressing in. We don't want mashed potato salad!
- While the potatoes are cooking, dice up your celery, eggs, and green onions and set them aside.
- Drain your potatoes very well and add them to a large bowl. Place the potatoes in the refrigerator and let them chill for 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes chill, mix together your dressing ingredients. After you have it all mixed together, give it a taste. You can always add more salt, pepper, garlic or whatever spices you want.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes and mix well, but gently until all the potatoes are coated.
- Add in your chopped egg, celery and green onion, and stir just until mixed.
- At this point, you will want to chill the salad for at least one hour before serving.
How Much Potato Salad For A Crowd?
This recipe serves about 15-20 people at a potluck. You can figure a decent sized big spoonful for each person. This recipe can easily be doubled for 40 or more if you have a big crowd!
How Long Is Potato Salad Good?
For this recipe, I recommend chilling for at least an hour if not longer to let the flavors come together. If you don't you end up with a flavor of plain potato with "stuff" on top. You can chill in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 days if desired. Give it a good stir before serving. I do not recommend trying to freeze potato salad at any time, ever.
Perfect Potato Salad
- 5 Pounds Russet Potatoes
- 2 Cups Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- ½ Teaspoon Paprika
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ⅓ Cup Dill Pickle Relish
- ¼ Teaspoon Celery Salt
- 6 Hard Boiled Eggs Diced
- 1 Cup Chopped Celery
- ½ Cup Chopped Green Onion
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly, then peel and cut into ½-1 inch cubes.
- Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot of cold water.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil then add 1 Tablespoon Salt to the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium and boil gently for 8-10 minutes, just until fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes, add them to a large bowl, and place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooling mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, relish, and celery salt in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Remove the potatoes from the refrigerator and mix in the dressing. Add in the diced boiled eggs, chopped celery, and green onion and mix gently to combine.
- Chill the potato salad for at least 1 hour before serving.