Blueberry Pistachio Breakfast Cookies are a quick, easy, and healthy breakfast recipe! Packed full of juicy berries, peanut butter, and oats!
Note, I originally posted this recipe in July 2016. The recipe is staying the same, we’re just giving the post a bit of a facelift with better instructions and new photos!
I have to say, I am a huge breakfast and brunch fanatic. Some of my favorite things are homemade Sausage Gravy, and my super indulgent Bananas Foster French Toast Casserole. Typically we save those things for a weekend treat, but that doesn’t mean our weekday breakfasts have to be boring! These breakfast cookies are one of my faves to make ahead then grab and go, same with my Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins! The kids love these too, they’re just sweet enough to feel like a treat but they’re a good healthy option and they keep us full and going till lunch!
How To Make Breakfast Cookies:
- You’ll want to start with two ripe bananas for this recipe. Toss them in a bowl and use a fork to mash them until they’re really smooth. If you prefer, you can also do this in your stand mixer, or use a hand mixer.
- Next, toss everything else into your stand mixer bowl, or a large mixing bowl. Beat the mixture with the paddle attachment on low speed for just 2-3 minutes until the dough comes together. Note that the dough will be very sticky.
- Once all of your ingredients are mixed into a dough, you can drop it directly onto a cookie sheet. You will want to line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat for best results. I like to use a large Tablespoon to drop this dough on the pan, it will be too sticky to use your hands. You can get as many cookies out of this recipe as you want, really! You can see in the photo below that I like to get 12 cookies total because we have them as a meal for breakfast. You can always make them smaller for a snack too!
Substitutions for Breakfast Cookies:
Feel free to experiment and make these breakfast cookies your own! Here are a few of my favorite substitutions, and the ones that I get asked about the most.
- Feel free to use almond butter or cashew butter in place of the peanut butter in this recipe.
- Use whatever kinds of nuts you like. These are great with walnuts, pecans, and cashews. You can also leave them out if you’d like, but we really enjoy the extra crunch.
- You don’t have to use blueberries. You can use raspberries, blackberries, raisins, shredded coconut, or even dried cranberries.
- If you aren’t a banana lover, you can substitute with 1 Cup of unsweetened apple sauce instead.
Blueberry Pistachio Breakfast Cookies
- 2 Large bananas** mashed
- 2 1/2 Cups Quick Cooking Oats, can use gluten free
- 1 Cup Peanut Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup Pure maple syrup, or Honey
- 1/2 Cup Pistachios shelled
- 3/4 Cup Blueberries fresh or frozen/thawed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- In bowl of stand mixer, or large bowl using had mixer, mix all ingredients gently on LOW speed just until combined.
- Drop dough by 1/4 cup fulls onto prepared pan.
- Slightly press dough down to desired thickness.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, until slightly golden.
- Allow cookies to cool completely before removing from pan.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.