Best Sausage Gravy is the most simple and flavorful country gravy from scratch! This mouthwatering gravy is perfect with your favorite biscuits and ready super fast!
What is Sausage Gravy?
Biscuits and Sausage gravy is a classic staple breakfast dish in the Midwest and South. It’s one dish that I particularly look forward to having on a chilly fall or winter morning. While we all know that sausage gravy isn’t the healthiest dish in the world it is some of the best stick to your ribs comfort food out there! I highly recommend serving this gravy with my Easy Homemade Drop Biscuits, they are so simple to make!
Can I Make Sausage Gravy the Night Before?
Yes, you can! Make the gravy as directed in the recipe card below. Allow the gravy to cool completely, then, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. To reheat the gravy, pour it into a medium saucepan and warm over medium-low heat while stirring occasionally until heated through.
How do you Make Sausage Gravy?
- The first step to making this gravy is to cook one pound of pork breakfast sausage. You can use mild, hot, maple, or any type of pork sausage that you prefer.
- Once the sausage is browned through with no pink remaining you will add two tablespoons of butter directly to the cooked sausage and allow it to melt.
- Next, sprinkle your flour over the sausage. You will stir the flour into the sausage for 1-2 minutes until that “raw flour” smell is gone. The flour and fat mixture is what will allow your gravy to thicken.
- Pour in the milk slowly while whisking. Your gravy will continue to thicken and bubble as your pour in the milk.
- Once the milk has all been added to the skillet, you will add your seasonings. Allow the gravy to simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened, then serve right away.
- This gravy can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days for best results.
What to Eat Sausage Gravy With:
As I mentioned above, we like this gravy best with my homemade drop biscuits. Any kind of biscuits your family likes will work just fine though. Sausage gravy is also great over fried breakfast potatoes, hashbrowns, grits, and toast.
If you enjoy the video of this recipe below, be sure to follow us on FACEBOOK to see the most delicious recipe videos every day!
Best Sausage Gravy
- 1 Pound Ground Pork Sausage
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 3 Cups Milk
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink.
- Add the butter to the pan and stir it around until melted.
- Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and stir for 2 minutes.
- Pour the milk into the sausage and flour mixture slowly, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Whisk in the seasonings. Taste the gravy and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve immediately with your favorite biscuits.