Best Chex Mix Recipe is so easy to make at home and has the most amazing flavor from the perfect blend of seasonings! This snack mix is a great party appetizer!
I've been so overly excited to put this seriously simple recipe up for you! I'm attached to this recipe because my Grandma always had a giant bowl of Chex Mix out during Thanksgiving and Christmas! I've done my best to replicate her recipe here. What I love about this vs packaged mix, is that I can add all of our families personal favorite snacks and make sure every piece is coated in seasoning. Make sure you put a bowl out this for your guests while you wait for that juicy Roast Turkey to finish up, and if you're looking for more appetizers our Dill Pickle Bacon Cheese Ball is always a crowd pleaser!
What is in Chex Mix?
- Chex cereal, you will use all three corn, rice, and wheat. If you want you can leave one out and add extra of the cereal you love most.
- Cheerios! I love this addition, they pick up tons of flavor.
- Cheese crackers (like Cheez-it) or any brand you prefer is fine. This snack mix isn't the same to me without a cheese cracker!
- Pretzels, a good old stand by, but everyone loves them. You will want to make sure you use mini-pretzels and not the giant ones.
- Nuts! I use peanuts because I find most people like them. You could also use cashews, almonds, or pistachios.
Chex Mix Seasoning:
I've played around with this a lot to get that perfect balance. It's a super simple mix of melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, and garlic powder. Make sure that you use SEASONED salt and not regular table salt! I use Lawry's brand because that's what is easiest for me to find. You can use any brand you like and can find it at any grocery store with the other spices.
How Long is Chex Mix Good for?
Once your mix comes out of the oven you will want to dump it off of the hot pan onto waxed paper or parchment paper and let it cool. This doesn't take long, probably about 20-30 minutes. You can now eat it right away, or store for later. In an airtight container that is well sealed, the mix will last for up to two weeks for best flavor.
Best Chex Mix Recipe
- 3 Cups Corn Chex Cereal
- 3 Cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 2 Cups Wheat Chex Cereal
- 2 Cups Cheez-It Crackers
- 2 Cups Mini Pretzels
- 1 Cup Cheerios
- 1 Cup Peanuts
- 1 ½ Sticks Butter (Equal to ¾ Cup)
- ⅓ Cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Seasoned Salt
- 3 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Dump the cereals, crackers, pretzels, cheerios and peanuts onto a large baking sheet and use your hands to mix everything up.
- In a medium bowl, melt the butter and stir in the Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, and garlic powder.
- Drizzle the butter mixture evenly over the cereal mixture, toss for 1-2 minutes to make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Pour the mixture out onto paper towels or parchment paper to cool.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Kyle Jones says
Recipe was fantastic. I added a half of stick more butter and extra of the seasonings as well. It turned out really good!
Very good! Shared with my neighbors and they loved it
Hey everyone, I used 2 sticks butter, and 1/3 cup of Cholula hot sauce. Then the original recipe above, also with an additional cup of nuts, and wheat thins. (I don't have pretzels)
2nd time I made this, and it has turned out awesome!. Thank you for the recipes!
I’ll never buy the store-bought Chex mix seasoning packet or shortchange the butter again. This is now our family’s go-to Chex mix recipe. We loved it, thank you!
This Chex mix won’t last two weeks in my house. My family finishes it off in two days.
Cari Carroll says
Game changer! Your recipe is amazing!
Mary yuro says
I make two batches....1 as specified here
The other I add marshmallow and dark chocolate bits
Or red and green m and m's
And use Cinnnamon and sugar instead of seasoned salt and Worchestire
5 Stars!!! I will be using this recipe from now on. I used cashews and pecans for my nuts. It's delish! Thanks for the recipe!!
Merry Christmas ?
Tonya Richards says
Hi, I just made this and the recipe is so good! I’m giving it to our neighbors for Christmas, so I want to know if it would be okay to add red and green M&Ms to the mix after it cools for a festive look. What do you think?
HOLLY SCANNELL says
Can this be frozen when done?
Yes I freeze leftovers every year! Excited to try this new version!
Haven't made homemade chex mix like this before and it is delish! I had some leftover chex mix and cheerios from a different trail mix I made, so it helped me get rid of it all!
How much is 1 serving size? Thanks!
jerkin mcguffinshire says
dude this was hecking dope
Tammy Carter says
I have children that are allergic to fish. What can we substitute for the worcheistersire (sorry for the misspelling)sauce? Since it is made with anchovies I cannot use it, but want to make this or something very similar? Thanks.
Hi! To be honest, I would do a Google search for "homemade worcestershire sauce" and see what you come up with! There are a lot of good homemade recipes that would be fish free. Hope that helps 🙂
Soy sauce works I put it in mine if I don't have worstershire
Sarah E Brown says
They make a vegetarian version of Worcestershire sauce. They have it at the Walmart superstore, Whole Foods & vegetarian stores.
They make vegan worchestire that subs great for me in other recipes. Could give that a try
This is so good and addicting! Can't stop eating it!
Nothing beats chex mix for the holidays and adding cheezits was a big hit with our kids.
Love seasoning boost of this version! Boosting So much more flavor! I followed that portion of the recipe exactly as written. I didn’t have Cheezits on hand so I used what I did have and that was blast of cheddar goldfish. Also used mixed nuts and Parmesan garlic & herb pita chips.
Your chex mix looks better & I'm 100% positive yours tastes better then my (ex-paul naves)chex mix... 😉