Best Chex Mix Recipe is so easy to make at home and has the most amazing flavor from the perfect blend of seasonings! This snack mix is a great party appetizer!
I've been so overly excited to put this seriously simple recipe up for you! I'm attached to this recipe because my Grandma always had a giant bowl of Chex Mix out during Thanksgiving and Christmas! I've done my best to replicate her recipe here. What I love about this vs packaged mix, is that I can add all of our families personal favorite snacks and make sure every piece is coated in seasoning. Make sure you put a bowl out this for your guests while you wait for that juicy Roast Turkey to finish up, and if you're looking for more appetizers our Dill Pickle Bacon Cheese Ball is always a crowd pleaser!
What is in Chex Mix?
- Chex cereal, you will use all three corn, rice, and wheat. If you want you can leave one out and add extra of the cereal you love most.
- Cheerios! I love this addition, they pick up tons of flavor.
- Cheese crackers (like Cheez-it) or any brand you prefer is fine. This snack mix isn't the same to me without a cheese cracker!
- Pretzels, a good old stand by, but everyone loves them. You will want to make sure you use mini-pretzels and not the giant ones.
- Nuts! I use peanuts because I find most people like them. You could also use cashews, almonds, or pistachios.
Chex Mix Seasoning:
I've played around with this a lot to get that perfect balance. It's a super simple mix of melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, and garlic powder. Make sure that you use SEASONED salt and not regular table salt! I use Lawry's brand because that's what is easiest for me to find. You can use any brand you like and can find it at any grocery store with the other spices.
How Long is Chex Mix Good for?
Once your mix comes out of the oven you will want to dump it off of the hot pan onto waxed paper or parchment paper and let it cool. This doesn't take long, probably about 20-30 minutes. You can now eat it right away, or store for later. In an airtight container that is well sealed, the mix will last for up to two weeks for best flavor.
Best Chex Mix Recipe
- 3 Cups Corn Chex Cereal
- 3 Cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 2 Cups Wheat Chex Cereal
- 2 Cups Cheez-It Crackers
- 2 Cups Mini Pretzels
- 1 Cup Cheerios
- 1 Cup Peanuts
- 1 ½ Sticks Butter (Equal to ¾ Cup)
- ⅓ Cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Seasoned Salt
- 3 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Dump the cereals, crackers, pretzels, cheerios and peanuts onto a large baking sheet and use your hands to mix everything up.
- In a medium bowl, melt the butter and stir in the Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, and garlic powder.
- Drizzle the butter mixture evenly over the cereal mixture, toss for 1-2 minutes to make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Pour the mixture out onto paper towels or parchment paper to cool.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.