Amazing BLT Tacos are the most mouthwatering summer dinner! Toasty tortillas packed with bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado and a simple creamy dressing!
THESE TACOS!!! My new go-to dinner all summer long. You know we love bacon around here, we’re devouring all the Bacon Ranch Chicken and Rice, and of course Garlic Bread BLT’S. But, it was time for something different, that would be fun and filling but light and fresh enough for a summer meal. Obviously, a bacon taco was necessary. These are really, really, simple to make and the only cooking involved is the bacon!
What is a BLT Taco?
My BLT tacos start with toasty tortillas! You don’t have to pan sear your tortillas, but you won’t regret it if you do. Then, fill your tortillas with crispy cooked bacon, shredded romaine, sliced cherry tomatoes, diced avocado, a bit of Monterrey Jack cheese, and dollops of creamy avocado sauce!
Creamy Avocado Sauce:
Let’s chat about this sauce. Please, don’t skip it! It makes these tacos what they are! It’s a super simple homemade dressing with a handful of ingredients, a lot of which are pantry staples anyway. I use my food processor to make the dressing, but you can use a blender if you prefer. Simply add half of an avocado to the processor with your whole clove of garlic, fresh chives, dill, olive oil, lime juice and a bit of sour cream or greek yogurt. Give it whirl for a couple of minutes, then, stream in a couple of Tablespoons of water if needed to thin the dressing out a bit.
You can see the picture below of the dressing once prepared. It is incredible! And addicting. It’s creamy and rich while being super fresh at the same time. It’s hassle free, and I want to make more and put it on everything! In the picture, I have added 2 Tablespoons of water to my dressing to get the consistency that I wanted. Feel free to add more or less to your preference. Just add it slowly so that you don’t end up with a runny mess.
How to Serve BLT Tacos:
I like to serve these “taco bar” style! Get your tortillas in a stack, and add all of your cheese, avocado, dressing, tomatoes…etc. into different sized bowls and let everyone create their own! This makes about 6-8 tacos total, depending on how much you stuff them, and what size of tortillas you choose to use. For these photos, I used fajita sized flour tortillas. These are a great meal in themselves, but it’s also yummy served with some Creamy Berry Salad!
Pan Toasted Tortillas:
Again, totally optional step, but you can do this with flour tortillas and they are so toasty, slightly puffed, crispy…so amazing. To toast them, all you need is to heat about 2 Tablespoons of oil in a skillet, or on a griddle. Once the oil is good and hot, add a tortilla and toast until golden on one side. It doesn’t take more than 5-8 minutes to toast 8 tortillas, the process is fast! Remove to a paper towel lined plate to soak up any excess grease so they don’t get soggy.
Amazing BLT Tacos
FOR THE TACOS:
- 1 Pound Bacon
- 8 Soft Taco Sized Tortillas
- 1 Cup Shredded Lettuce
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Large Avocado
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese We use Monterrey Jack
- 8 Flour or Corn Tortillas Toasted if desired
FOR THE TACOS:
- Cook the bacon in batches in a large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked thoroughly.
- Remove the pan from the heat, turn the heat to medium, and drain the bacon grease from the pan.
- OPTIONAL TO TOAST THE TORTILLAS: Add 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil to the skillet over medium heat, working quickly, toast each tortilla on one side for 1-2 minutes until golden, remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Fill each tortilla with cooked bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, and avocado, cheese and dressing as desired.
FOR THE DRESSING:
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, add the avocado, garlic clove, sour cream or yogurt, olive oil, chives, dill, and lime juice. Blend on high for 2 minutes until smooth. Stream in 1-2 Tablespoons of water as needed to thin out the dressing to desired consistency.