Cranberry Coffee Cake is a scrumptious, easy to make treat that’s perfect for winding down a holiday party or serving for breakfast while opening presents. Moist, sweet, and tart, this is a festive favorite for the season!
Cranberry Coffee Cake
Cranberry coffee cake, sometimes referred to as a cranberry crumb cake, is just the right balance of sweet and tangy. A denser variety of cake, it’s great as a dessert or breakfast and of course should be paired with a steaming mug of coffee! The crumble topping adds a bit of crunch to the soft cake while the cranberries and orange flavors compliment the tangy sour cream and slight sweetness of the batter. This cake comes together very quickly and the process is super simple. The combination of cranberry and orange really screams holiday festivities to me! It would be beautiful for a holiday brunch with the pops of red peeking through. Or if you’re looking for an easy to eat treat while the family opens presents on Christmas morning you’ve got the right recipe!
Can I make this with other fruits?
Not a fan of cranberries or can’t seem to get your hands on any? No problem! This cake would be delicious with blueberries, raspberries, maybe even some apple chunks! Feel free to experiment and see what you like!
How To Make Cranberry Coffee Cake
For the Cake:
- Preheat the oven. Set your oven to 350°F and grease a 9×9 inch baking dish with your favorite non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Beat the butter and sugar. Use a stand or hand mixer to cream the softened butter and sugar together. Beat for 2-3 minutes until nice and fluffy.
- Add the wet ingredients. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the sour cream, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla extract and beat once more to combine.
- Make the batter. Add half of the flour mixture to the sour cream mixture and mix. Add the remaining flour and mix again until fully incorporated. Gently fold in the cranberries. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
For the Topping:
- Combine all the ingredients. In a medium sized bowl, add the flour, softened butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Use two forks (or your fingers – the more fun method for sure) and mix until you have a crumbly consistency.
- Sprinkle the topping over the cake. Evenly distribute the crumble topping over the cranberry coffee cake batter.
- Bake and serve. Bake the coffee cake for 45-50 minutes, serve with a scoop of ice cream or alongside a hot cup of coffee, and enjoy.
Storing Cranberry Coffee Cake
Leftover coffee cake can be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored on your kitchen counter for 2 days. This cake freezes well and can be kept fresh for 3 months. Thaw overnight before serving.
Ingredients Notes for Cranberry Coffee Cake
- Sour cream – You can substitute the sour cream for plain Greek yogurt for a similar outcome.
- Cranberries – Fresh or frozen work in this recipe. If frozen, no need to thaw before baking.
- Butter – You want the butter to be at room temperature. Not Melted but not super cold either. A good rule of thumb is to be able to indent the butter with your finger but not be able to push completely through it. This consistency makes it way easier to cream together with the sugar.
- Cinnamon – If you want to add a touch more spice, try including some nutmeg or ground cloves to the cake itself or the crumble topping!
Cranberry Coffee Cake
FOR THE CAKE:
FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×9 inch baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until combined.
- In a second large bowl (or bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment) beat together sugar and softened butter for 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then beat in the sour cream, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla extract.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix to combine, then repeat with the remaining flour. Use a spatula to fold in the cranberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with the topping.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes.
FOR THE TOPPING:
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium bowl. Use two forks (or your fingers) to mix everything together until the mixture is crumbly,