Mashed Potato Pancakes are the best way to use up leftover mashed potatoes! These potato cakes are easy, creamy, cheesy and make a great dinner or breakfast!
These potato cakes have been an absolute family favorite for years! I have three different mashed potato recipes on this website, it was obviously time to give us a good way to repurpose them! We always make extra mashed potatoes, just for a good excuse to make these pancakes! For me, these can honestly be a complete meal. But, they are also amazing served as breakfast/brunch with a side of eggs and Fruit Salad. If you want them for dinner, try them with our Baked Chicken Thighs or as a side to London Broil! Let’s talk mashed potatoes too! Try out either our Classic Mashed Potatoes, our super decadent Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes or our Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes to get you started. The rest of the ingredients are simple, you need flour, egg, cheese, green onion, optional bacon, and butter for frying.
Mashed Potato Cakes Recipe Notes:
- The bacon in this recipe is so good, but also completely optional! You can have them meat free, or even use leftover diced ham or shredded rotisserie chicken for other meat options.
- I prefer a mixture of sharp cheddar and freshly shredded parmesan. Use whatever cheese that you love best and have on hand! This is one of those recipes where it is totally fine to use bagged/pre-shredded cheese.
- As far as seasonings, I only call for salt, pepper and a bit of garlic powder. Make sure to taste your mashed potatoes again before making this dish, and you can always add more seasonings to your own taste.
- If you don’t like the taste of green onions they can be left out completely. You can also add in some onion powder, or finely minced chives in their place.
- How much flour you need for this recipe really depends on how wet your mashed potatoes are because recipes can really differ. I recommend starting out with 1/3 cup added into the potato mixture, then, if they still seem way too wet to form, you can add in more. You shouldn’t need more than 1/2 cup of flour total, plus 1/2 cup on a plate to dredge the cakes in.
- The butter in this recipe is actually optional if you are using the bacon! Just fry the patties in the leftover bacon grease, and add a little extra butter if you feel like you need it.
Mashed Potato Pancakes
- 6 Slices Bacon Cooked and Crumbled, Optional
- 1 Large Egg
- 3 Cups Leftover Cold Mashed Potatoes
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour DIVIDED
- 4 Green Onions Sliced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Garlic Powder to taste
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- Sour Cream for serving
- Crack the egg into a large mixing bowl and whisk until frothy.
- Add in the mashed potatoes, bacon, both cheeses, 1/2 cup of the flour, green onions, and seasonings to taste. Stir the mixture together until well combined.
- Pour the other 1/2 cup of flour into a shallow bowl.
- Divide the mashed potato mixture into 12 portions. Roll each piece into a ball and then flatten into a pancake.
- Dredge each pancake lightly in the extra flour.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Fry the pancakes in batches for about 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with sour cream if desired.