Italian Sub Brunch Casserole is loaded up with salami, ham, pepperoni, two cheeses, and tons of flavor! This casserole can be made ahead and is great for breakfast or even dinner!
This is our new, maybe favorite brunch recipe ever! Of course, it's also good for any time of day, even dinner and it reheats really well! We love classics like our Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole and our reader favorite Blueberry French Toast Casserole. But, this one is a really fun casserole that tastes just like your favorite Italian sub sandwich! We used a combo of black forest ham, salami, and pepperoni for the meats. Then, we use sliced/torn provolone and shredded mozzarella along with eggs and lots of great seasonings! On the top, we go with sliced pepperoncini rings, but you could really add olives or roasted peppers to kind of make this dish your very own!
Making Italian Sub Brunch Casserole:
To start out, you'll need a large loaf of French or Italian bread, anywhere from 10-14 ounces is good. Don't worry about the bread being perfect, I simply roughly tear it into large chunks and then it goes into a large baking dish. Now, just top with an even layer of your meats and cheeses and if desired you can kind of tuck some of the meat and cheese pieces in between the bread. At this point you can make the egg mixture, pour over and bake right away, or even chill overnight to make it ahead!
A Few Recipe Notes:
- Feel free to swap out meats to use what you like and have on hand! You can always use extra of one type of meat if there is a certain type you don't enjoy. You can also even use turkey, or turkey pepperoni!
- You can make this recipe with fresh French or Italian Bread. However, the egg mixture will soak up in the bread a little better if your bread is a day old.
- I did call for half & half in this recipe which makes it a little more rich! You can also sub that out with any milk of your choosing if preferred.
- We used dried basil and oregano in this recipe to keep it pantry staple friendly. Please feel free to use fresh herbs if that's what you have on hand! If using fresh, you will want to double the amount to get the same great flavor.
- If making this ahead, it is best to keep in mind that it needs to be cooked within 12 hours of going in the refrigerator for best results.
Italian Sub Brunch Casserole
- 1 Loaf Italian or French Bread, 10-14 Ounces Total
- ½ Cup Chopped Deli Ham
- ½ Cup Chopped Salami
- ½ Cup Chopped Pepperoni
- 1 Cup Shredded Provolone
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 6 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Half & Half
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Basil
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- Pepperoncini Rings for topping, Optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Cut or tear the loaf of bread roughly into 1 inch pieces and place in the prepared dish.
- Top the bread evenly with the ham, salami, pepperoni, and shredded cheese.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, half & half, and seasonings.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the casserole.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: Once the egg mixture is poured over the casserole, cover tightly with aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 12 hours until ready to bake.
Aimee O. says
Tasty and easy!! Love how different this recipe is from the usual breakfast casseroles with sausage. Will be making several times a year. Thanks!
I plan on making this soon...looks wonderful ! I think I'll drizzle a little Italian dressing over the top when serving tnough...😋
Erin Zeller says
Does this save for decent leftovers? Or does the bread get stodgy when microwaved?
We love the leftovers 🙂
michael Macanka says
had to make 2.my son could not stop eating this,thank you
Saved this and cannot wait to make it! Looks so delicious!!
Fabulous! Love how easy this is to put together with just a few simple ingredients!
Jere Cassidy says
What an excellent idea to make a sub a casserole. It has all the great flavors and honestly, is easier to eat.
This casserole looks amazingly delicious. I will try this over weekend.
Looks like the perfect dish for a crowd! Lots of flavors.
This looks so delicious! I would love to try this recipe
Sisley White says
This is my absolute heaven in a dish. I loved it so much
This looks like a great lunch option! I have to make it soon!
Such a fun idea for feeding a crowd!
Now I now what I will make for our family Sunday brunch! Looks amazing!
Awesome brunch! Whole family loved it!
Erin | Dinners,Dishes and Dessert says
This Italian Sub Brunch Casserole looks absolutely delicious! Yummy!
Beth Pierce says
This looks so yummy! I think I will be making this for lunch today! Thanks!