Hot Buttered Rum is a traditional cocktail made with butter, brown sugar, rum and spices! This warming drink is perfect for the holiday season and so easy!
Hot Buttered Rum:
This festive cocktail is an absolute must for your holiday season! It is warm and so decadent, because there is butter in it! A hot buttered rum is made by starting with a “batter” of sorts. We mix together butter, brown sugar, powdered sugar, and heavy cream with lots of spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves! The flavor is soul warming and perfect for any chilly evening! You can of course play around with the spices here too, and adjust things to your own personal tastes. To assemble the cocktail all you need to do is drop a couple of Tablespoons of your batter into a big mug! Then, top it off with either a dark or spiced rum, pour in very hot water, mix and drink! Completely optional, but if you have any whipped cream on hand throw a dollop on top! You won’t be disappointed, it adds even more rich creaminess to your buttered rum! If you are looking for more seasonal beverages, try out our Creamy Caramel Apple Cocktail and our Spiced Wine Apple Cider Cocktail too!
Hot Buttered Rum Recipe Notes:
- Feel free to add more or less spices to your own preference. I usually like to double the amount of spice in mine, but you can always taste your batter and add more if you want. You can also leave out the cloves if you don’t like them or have on hand.
- Spiced, dark, or even gold style of rum can be used here. Spiced rum is our personal favorite after making this drink many, many times!
- When you make your batter, don’t overwork it. Only mix until just combined, and don’t leave at room temperature for too long either. Those things can cause the batter to separate.
- This drink serves eight, with about 2 Tablespoons of batter per cocktail. BUT, you can freeze your batter for later if you want to make less! Or, you can cut down the recipe to half of course!
- To freeze the batter, simply drop 2 TBSP into ice cube trays, cover and you should be able to freeze for up to 2 months. Just thaw in the fridge before adding to a drink. If you don’t want to freeze, you can also keep it in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Don’t be worried about the sweetness or richness of this drink. It’s really not as heavy as it might seem! The rum and the water do a great job of cutting through the richness of the butter and sugar!
Hot Buttered Rum
For the Batter:
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter softened
- ¾ Cup Brown Sugar
- ¾ Cup Powdered Sugar
- ½ Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- ½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ Teaspoon Nutmeg
- ¼ Teaspoon Allspice
- ¼ Teaspoon Cloves
- 2 Tablespoons Batter
- 2 Ounces Dark or Spiced Rum
- 6 Ounces Boiling Water
To Make the Batter:
- In a small bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter and brown sugar until soft and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar and heavy cream. Continue beating until just combined then add the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves.
- Use to make a drink immediately, or store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to use.
- Place two tablespoons of the batter into a heat-safe mug. Add two ounces of rum, and stir to combine. The batter will not completely dissolve.
- Carefully pour in six ounces of boiling water, and stir vigorously to combine the ingredients.
- Top with freshly grated cinnamon or nutmeg. Enjoy immediately!