Ground Turkey Taco Meat is a simple but flavor-packed recipe that is ready to eat in 15 minutes or less! You'll love the tender turkey meat full of taco seasoning, lime, and salsa!
Ground turkey taco meat is really a refrigerator/freezer staple at my house. Everyone loves the flavor, including the kids and I love that it's easy to make a big batch and keep on hand for a quick lunch or dinner. The problem with ground turkey is that it doesn't have much flavor in general. But, this recipe kicks that problem to the curb with simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand. If you're looking for more recipes with ground turkey, be sure to try my Turkey Enchilada Soup too!
Ground Turkey Taco Meat:
- To make this recipe, start by heating 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. The olive oil will help keep the meat moist!
- Cook the meat along with one diced onion, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste until cooked through. If necessary, drain any fat and return the meat to the skillet.
- You'll turn your heat to medium-low and add the black beans, taco seasoning of your choice, a squeeze of lime juice, one cup of salsa, and a bit of water. Then, simmer the meat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly until everything is warmed through.
What to Serve with Turkey Taco Meat:
This taco meat is great served over a big bowl of rice or even cauliflower rice! We also love it stuffed into crunchy or soft taco shells or even a burrito. It's also great with Guacamole!
Can I Freeze Turkey Taco Meat?
Yes, once cooked and cooled you can store this meat in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Alternately, you can place it into a sealable freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before using.
Ground Turkey Taco Meat
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 2 Pounds Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 15 Ounce Can Black Beans, Drained and Rinsed
- 2 Packets Taco Seasoning
- 1 Cup Salsa
- Juice of 1 Lime, About 2 Tablespoons
- 1-2 Teaspoons Hot Sauce, Such as Cholula or Tabasco
- ¼ Cup Water
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion, minced garlic and ground turkey, cooking and stirring occasionally until meat is broken up and cooked through.
- If necessary, drain any excess fat and return the meat to the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the black beans, taco seasoning, salsa, lime juice, hot sauce, and water.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 4-5 minutes until warmed through.
- Serve immediately with rice, cauliflower rice, or taco shells as desired.