Creamy Mushroom Chicken features pan seared chicken breasts that are seasoned to perfection and served in the most incredible creamy sauce! Notes of garlic accompany tender bites of mushroom in this medley of simple, yet satisfying ingredients. This one-pan dinner checks all the right boxes!
Creamy Mushroom Chicken
Need a one-pan dinner recipe that’s going to seriously satisfy? You’ve found it! Seasoned, thinly sliced chicken breasts are pan-seared to perfection and served with the BEST creamy garlic sauce with plenty of tender mushrooms. The best part is that you might already have all of the ingredients you need in your kitchen right now! If not, no worries – your shopping list will be nice and simple. This hassle-free chicken recipe is perfect for both dinner parties and busy weeknights at home alike.
How should I serve creamy mushroom chicken?
It would be an absolute shame to let all of that creamy garlic sauce go to waste! Serve this chicken over cooked pasta or rice to help soak up all of the sauce. Mashed Potatoes are another great option!
How to Make Creamy Mushroom Chicken
1. Season the chicken. Season both sides of the chicken breasts with the medley of mixed seasonings.
2. Place the chicken in the pan. Add oil to a pan over medium heat. Place the chicken in the pan so the breasts aren’t overlapping. You may need to work in batches. Cook the chicken. Cook the chicken for about 4 minutes per side, or until fully cooked. The chicken should have a nice crust on either side.
3. Cook the mushrooms. Melt the butter in the same pan you cooked the chicken in. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until caramelized.
4. Finish off the sauce. Add the garlic and thyme to the pan. Cook for just about 30 seconds (or until fragrant), then whisk in the heavy cream and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let cook for 5 minutes.
Serve and enjoy! Place the chicken pack into the pan and coat it with the sauce. Serve immediately with fresh thyme and parmesan.
Storing Mushroom Chicken
Once cooled to room temperature, this creamy chicken will stay fresh for about 3 days in the fridge. Make sure it’s kept in an airtight container. Reheat your leftovers in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until warmed through. Be careful not to overheat it or you’ll scald the creamy sauce! I do not recommend freezing this creamy chicken recipe. Cream is tricky to freeze and thaw, so this is a dish best enjoyed fresh.
Ingredient Notes for Mushroom Chicken
Chicken Breats – This recipe is really great with thinly sliced breasts. If you’d rather enjoy a larger chicken breast, adjust the cooking time as needed.
Mushrooms – Baby bella mushrooms are my personal favorites to use. However, you can use another type of mushroom instead if you’d like! Just make sure they’re either already bite-sized or cut into smaller pieces.
Garlic – If possible, use fresh garlic – not the pre-minced garlic that comes in jars. Fresh garlic really does wonders for the flavor and aroma of this dish.
Heavy Cream – I don’t recommend swapping this ingredient with any other dairy product. Heavy cream creates the thickest, creamiest sauce.
Chicken Broth – I like to use low-sodium chicken broth to help avoid a salty flavor.
Seasonings – A simple blend of dried parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper is all you need to create the very best flavor palate.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- 1 ½ Pounds Thin Sliced Chicken Breasts
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons Salted Butter
- 8 ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms sliced
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Thyme minced
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- Season both sides of the chicken with parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, pour in the oil, and place the chicken in the pan without overlapping. If your pan is small you may need to do this in 2 batches.
- Cook for 4 minutes then flip them over and cook on the other side for another 3-4 minutes or until they are cooked through and both sides have a nice crust.
- In the same pan, melt the butter, add the mushrooms, and cook for 10-15 minutes or until they are caramelized.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook for 30 seconds then whisk in the heavy cream and chicken broth and bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Nestle the chicken into the sauce and simmer on low heat for 3-4 minutes or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Serve with fresh thyme and parmesan if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.