I cannot tell a lie, I completely over did it in the food department this weekend. You know how it is.....out to dinner with friends for some delish food in gigantic portions.....wine. Sunday brunch, so many waffles and bacon you become somewhat delirious, and of course mimosas. I literally woke up still full today. Weekend, come back!
But alas, the weekend is not coming back and I need something easy, light, protein packed and yummy to get me through Monday. I always find myself desiring something crunchy, so this granola is a perfect choice. It's semi sweet with pure maple syrup and all natural honey, and just a wee bit salty from the pistachios. This morning instead of just devouring handfuls of granola, which I may or may not do throughout the day anyway, I decided to make our favorite smoothie bowl to go along with it and you can check out the quickie recipe through that link.
As you will notice this granola is gluten free, and the smoothie bowl is vegan. While we aren't vegan or gluten free in my house, I do like to pop out some recipes that everyone can enjoy. And, as much as I wish we could live on donuts, we can't. Can we? Just checking. Onward to the granola!
Just chop up your almonds and pistachios and don't even worry about spending much time on it. So much better when they are all a little different in size. Add them to a big bowl and then in goes your oats, coconut flakes, salt, coconut flour, cinnamon and vanilla. Drizzle the melted coconut oil, honey and maple syrup right over the top and smush (technical terms here) it all together with your hands.
Spread all the nutty, cinnamony, vanillany (?) goodness out on to your parchment paper lined baking sheet and pop it into the oven for a bit. Make sure you stir once or twice while it's in the oven, please give all the granola a fair chance at crunchiness.
Enjoy your granola! Recipe below.
- 2 Cups gluten free rolled oats
- ½ Cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¾ Cup roughly chopped pistachios
- ½ Cup roughly chopped almonds
- ¼ Cup melted coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp Pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp Coconut flour
- ½ Tsp Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp Vanilla or coconut extract optional
- Toasted coconut:
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Spread coconut onto large baking sheet in a think layer.
- Toast for 3-5 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the rolled oats, toasted coconut, chopped pistachios and almonds.
- Melt coconut oil if necessary and mix together in a small bowl with the maple syrup, honey, salt, cinnamon and extract if using.
- Spread granola mixture evenly onto parchment/foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes stirring once or twice during baking to ensure all of the granola is golden brown.
- Transfer granola to a heatproof surface and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
Leave a Reply