Amazing Cherry Pound Cake - This easy to make maraschino cherry cake is is gorgeous and so delicious! This cherry pound cake is made completely from scratch and packed with tons of buttery cherry flavor! The best cherry cake you'll ever make!
Well, what happens when you have a giant jar of maraschino cherries lying around, and can't remember why on earth you ever purchased them? Cherry cake, of course!
I do like to keep cherries around to make Shirley Temple drinks for the kids. And, ya know, to occasionally pop them into an adult beverage like this Holiday Mimosa Punch! But, now it's definitely baking season, and I thought a super decadent cherry cake would be the perfect thing to go along with our Christmas dinner this year.
I've always loved a good pound cake. It's like the ultimate buttery treat, even the frozen ones that you can just pick up at the store! But, there is something about a homemade cake that always tastes about a million times better, let's be honest.
If you haven't made a pound cake, or a bundt cake before it's really surprisingly easy to do! There are a few steps to follow that will ensure your cake turns out a winner.
First, you need to grease your bundt pan very well to make sure your cake doesn't get stuck. If you have the kind of cooking spray that contains flour (like Baker's Joy) you can use that. Otherwise, you'll want to use about 1 Tablespoon of butter to grease the pan, then sprinkle in some flour and gently shake it around in the pan until all sides and nooks are coated.
Second, let your mixer do most of the work, but do take the time to whisk together your dry ingredients, and only add the eggs one at a time! Even if it is super tempting to dump them all in at once!
Cherry Pound Cake
FOR THE CAKE:
- 3 Sticks Butter Softened
- 3 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 5 Large Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Maraschino Cherries Sliced
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Maraschino Cherry Juice
FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl with hand mixer or bowl of stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until pale yellow and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla and almond extract.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Mix in the sour cream.
- Fold in the Cherries. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
FOR THE GLAZE:
- In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar and the cherry juice. Drizzle over the cooled cake.