Cinnamon Roll Cake - The best ever cinnamon roll cake that is perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee, but also a great crowd pleasing dessert! This cake is super soft and moist, has a gooey cinnamon brown sugar swirl, and is easy as can be to whip up in no time!
***This recipe was originally published on 8/3/2016 and has been updated with new pictures and a video!***
I'm the type of girl that will do pretty much anything to stick cake into my breakfast plans. Cinnamon rolls are breakfast, so this means cinnamon roll cake is breakfast too....right? Right.
Logic of a cake crazed maniac over here.
Lately, I've been trying to be a good girl and eat really clean during the week....which is seriously nearly impossible when you have delicious baked treats just begging you to eat them all the time. But last week I did really good you guys *patting myself on the back*
This means that by weekend time I was dreaming of cake in my sleep. Yes, this cinnamon roll cake came to me in a dream. Like a vision with bright lights and cake floating above the clouds and all of that.
So, I found myself up way too early on a Sunday morning to make and devour my vision.
Since this cake was high on my priority list Sunday morning, obviously personal appearance was not. It was sweatpants, 80's style side ponytail, raccoon eyes because I'm a failure at washing my face before bed, and a giant men's black t-shirt that was covered in flour by the time this cake made it's way to the oven.
Sorry about your shirt Dan....here's some cake though.
Anyway, cake came out perfect, cooled, glazed, stacked and it was time for pictures. By this point and time I was hangry for some of this cake. The picture taking seemed to last for a million years. FINALLY pics were done and I grabbed a slice of this deliciousness and shoved it in my mouth as fast as humanly possible....and then the doorbell rang.....
and you remember what I said about my appearance....so there was that and me with cheeks full of cake and another piece of cake in my hand.
So, I answer the door in this complete state of disarray and who do I see? Dan's morning show co-host. His new morning show co-host that I haven't had the pleasure of meeting until now when I look like an unshowered cake fiend (which I totally am).
Thank the Lord this Dave has a good sense of humor. Or maybe he was just polite because I offered him cake? People are less judgmental if you give them cake. Fact.
Now that you've had the pleasure of hearing about my Sunday shenanigans....wait, are you still reading this?
Be sure to check out the video for this recipe below!
If you're looking for other amazing cinnamon treats, try my super popular Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins!
Cinnamon Roll Cake
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 ¼ Cups flour
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ Teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup salted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¼ Cups milk
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- FOR THE GLAZE:
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tablespoons milk
- ¼ Teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ Teaspoon cinnamon
FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 inch baking dish with non stick cooking spray or butter, set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder, set aside.
- In the bowl of stand mixer fitted the with the paddle attachment, or using a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat the softened butter, vanilla, and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs with mixer running and continue to beat over medium speed until mixture is creamy and pale yellow.
- With mixer on low speed add the dry ingredients into the butter/egg mixture and continue mixing until everything is well incorporated.
- Keep the mixer on low and gradually add the milk until all ingredients are well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the cake batter. Using a butter knife, swirl the cinnamon sugar into the cake batter.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool before glazing.
FOR THE GLAZE:
- Stir together the powdered sugar, vanilla, milk, and cinnamon until well combined and smooth. Drizzle over cake as desired.