**This post contains affiliate links**
Fresh oven baked donuts filled with sweet red cherries and topped with a deliciously tart lemon glaze that are super easy and whipped up in no time!
What’s better than summery sweet cherries paired with sweet/tart lemon glaze? If you said nothing, you are correct! Another crazy easy oven baked donut for you from this crazy donut loving lady. Should I call myself that? Probably not. Nevermind. Moving on….these guys were my attempt to brighten up the “Mondayest” Monday ever this week. The past few weeks have been nuts with moving and we are finally settled and boxes are cleared out of my kitchen (can I get an amen?!) so donuts are a must, obviously. When in doubt, bake donuts, eat donuts, feel shiny and new. Life is good.
Would you judge me if I called these donuts “perky”? Don’t answer that.
Soft melt in your mouth dough, rich cherries, perky lemon…..
If you were thinking that maybe I forgot about my deep seeded love of donuts, I haven’t. I have not forgotten. And I know I say I love every donut like the orange baked sort and chocolate with strawberry. I’m a non donut discriminator, ok? But these were honestly kind of special. I have always loved anything cherry and even better if it’s in the form of cakey goodness.
I was going to attempt to describe these for you….BUT, my kids really did the best job of this while taste testing. So, basically their little honest opinion basically boiled down to “cherry taste first, then lemony, then cinnamony, then soft and sweet at the end.” I may be creating mini foodies out of my children. I am totally OK with this.
Speaking of kidlets, and donuts….these are so easy my tiny humans can make them. AND, they are still ready in 20 minutes or less. No, I don’t let them run the oven….let me just point that out, no getting crazy ideas allowed at The Salty Marshmallow. So, if you’re still not the proud owner of a donut pan you can find one right HERE.
Enjoy your crazy Monday, perky, cherry packed donuts!
****Don’t forget to PIN IT!
Follow me on Instagram and when you whip up my recipes you can share your pics with me here!
Printable recipe below!
- 1 ½ Cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ Tsp Baking powder
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/3 Cup granulated sugar
- ¼ Cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 Tsp Almond extract
- 1/2 Tsp Cherry extract optional
- ½ Cup milk
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- ½ Cup sweet cherries pitted
- 1 Egg
- Red food coloring optional
- Lemon Glaze:
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- Juice of one lemon
- Zest of one lemon
- Yellow food coloring as desired
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, sour cream, milk, butter, and extracts.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients, then fold in cherries.
- Grease two donut pans and spoon batter directly into pans, or first spoon the batter into a
- resealable plastic or piping bag and pipe into pans until 3/4 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 13-15 minutes, or until slightly golden.
- Allow donuts to cool in pan almost completely before removing, 10-15 minutes.
- For the glaze, in a medium bowl with hand mixer or in bowl of stand mixer add all ingredients
- and beat for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Donuts can be dipped directly into bowl of glaze when completely cool, or spoon the glaze into
- a small resealable plastic bag snipping of a small corner and pipe directly onto warm or cool