Slow Cooker Meatballs and Gravy is easy to make with homemade or frozen meatballs! These meatballs come out juicy, tender and are great with mashed potatoes or noodles!
This is one of our all time favorite, can eat any day of the week, comfort food meals! Meatballs are slow cooked in a rich brown gravy with mushrooms and onions and it's so hearty and delicious! I originally posted this recipe early in 2017, but wanted to do a little revamp. Originally the recipe was made using frozen meatballs (and you still can!) but, I've had lots of requests for a homemade meatball for this recipe, so we're adding that as well. If you are a lover of our traditional Chopped Steak recipe or our super popular French Onion Salisbury Steak, you're going to adore this one! I love serving this with homemade Mashed Potatoes, but it's really good with buttered noodles or over white or brown rice as well.
Slow Cooker Meatballs and Gravy:
If you're making your own meatballs, you'll want to start there. It's a super simple meatball recipe consisting of ground beef, egg, Worcestershire, panko (or plain) breadcrumbs, and lots of good seasoning. This recipe makes about 24 meatballs and you can double the recipe if you want to have extra. We like to double this because these meatballs freeze really well! You can roll them up, place them on a sheet pan, pop in the freezer for about 30 minutes, then carefully place them in a freezer safe bag. It's best to lay them flat in the freezer bags, so you will likely need to use two of them. Then, you can freeze for up to 3 months. If cooking right away, you can sear the meatballs in batches then just remove them from the pan to the bottom of your slow cooker. If using frozen meatballs, you can skip these steps, the frozen meatballs can go right into your crock pot as they are!
Meatballs and Gravy Notes:
- If using frozen meatballs, I recommend using homestyle or Swedish style. The Italian style don't taste as good in this recipe.
- You can do this entire recipe as a freezer meal! Place your meatballs into a large zip top bag. Then, whisk together the gravy ingredients and pour over. Seal and freeze for up to 3 months. You can thaw in the fridge overnight if preferred, or add to the slow cooker from frozen.
- You will need a 6 quart or larger slow cooker for this recipe. If you crock pot is smaller, you will need to cut the recipe in half.
- The mushrooms and onions are OPTIONAL! We love them, and it adds great flavor, but, if you don't simply leave them out!
Slow Cooker Meatballs and Gravy
FOR HOMEMADE MEATBALLS:
- 2 Pounds Ground Beef
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Cup Panko or Plain Breadcrumbs
IF NOT USING HOMEMADE MEATBALLS USE 24 OUCES FROZEN MEATBALLS
- 1 Large Onion, Sliced
- 1 (8 Ounce) Package Sliced Mushrooms
- 3 Cups Beef Broth
- 2 (1 Ounce) Packages Brown Gravy Mix
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Ketchup
- ½ Teaspoon EACH Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt, Pepper.
- 2 Tablespoons Cold Water
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
IF USING HOMEMADE MEATBALLS:
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, beaten egg, worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and breadcrumbs using your hands, just until combined.Form the beef mixture into about 24 meatballs (about 1 ½ inches in diameter) and set aside on a large plate.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.When the oil is hot, add half of the meatballs to the pan and sear on each side for about 2-3 minutes until browned, transfer to the bottom of the slow cooker.Repeat with the remaining meatballs.
- Place the frozen meatballs, sliced onion, and mushrooms in the bottom of your slow cooker. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the beef broth, gravy mix, worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and seasonings. Pour mixture over meatballs. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the meatballs from the slow cooker and set aside. At this point if your slow cooker was on low, turn it up to high. Mix together the cold water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the broth for 1-2 minutes until thickened.
- Return the meatballs to the slow cooker and stir gently to coat with gravy. Serve immediately.
This recipe was shared at The Weekend Potluck!