A delicious traditional cornbread stuffing made easy by using your slow cooker! This stuffing is packed full of sweet cornbread, sage sausage, cranberries, and pecans!
Remember to follow The Salty Marshmallow on Pinterest for all things that are delicious!
You GUYS!! Thanksgiving is almost upon us! Are you excited?
If you’re anything like me, you’re probably a little too excited to just go ahead and start eating all of the delicious foods you can get your hands on.
Especially the stuffing. It’s my favorite part. Sorry turkey, the stuffing is just prettier and more flavorful than you.
Tell me….do you have cornbread stuffing or traditional in your house? Oooohhh…..and do you call it stuffing, or dressing? Inquiring minds want to know.
I call it stuffing, even though I never actually “stuff” it into the bird.
Growing up, we always had the traditional bread stuffing, but, now that I’m older I’ve grown to love all the amazing flavors and textures of cornbread stuffing MUCH more.
If you haven’t tried it, you must.
Check out our video below!!
This particular stuffing is extra awesome, because it is made in your crock pot!
You don’t have to struggle to fit extra pans in your oven this year – YAY!
I personally like to make my homemade cornbread that you can find the recipe for right HERE.
But, it’s equally good when made with boxed cornbread mix that you have whipped up ahead of time.
The most important part of this recipe is to let your made up cornbread and the french bread sit out overnight to become somewhat stale.
This will keep you from having soggy cornbread and crying on Thanksgiving.
A little note, I don’t cook my sausage before adding to the slow cooker – as you can see in the video. If that makes you uncomfortable, you are more than welcome to cook it first. You will need to adjust cooking time to 1-2 hours instead of 3-4.
Enjoy this on Thanksgiving as much as myself and my family do!
Slow Cooker Cornbread Stuffing
- 5-6 Cups cooked cornbread .
- 1/2 Loaf French bread cut into cubes and left out to dry*
- 1 Pound ground sage flavored sausage
- 1 Yellow onion diced
- 2 1/2 Cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 Tsp . salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme - if using dried reduce to 1 1/2 tsp.
- 1 Cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 Cup pecans chopped - optional
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
- NOTE: If you can' find sage flavored sausage substitute regular ground pork sausage and add 1 Tsp. sage to the slow cooker.
- **Night before making - place cornbread and bread cubes into slow cooker and allow to sit and dry out overnight.
- The next day,Add the onion, salt, thyme, cranberries, pecans, chicken broth, and melted butter. Stir to combine. crumble the sausage evenly over the bread mixture.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, until sausage is cooked through.
- Stir well, and check seasonings to taste before serving.