Cornbread Stuffing made easy in your slow cooker or oven! This stuffing is packed full of sweet cornbread, french bread, sausage, cranberries, and pecans!
I originally posted my version of this classic back in November of 2016! I wanted to make sure it got a fresh set of photos, and instructions. Cornbread stuffing is a Midwest and Southern classic. There’s a BIG reason why this is a fave. It’s not only full of toasted cornbread cubes, but french loaf makes an appearance, lots of great spices as well as dried cranberries, sausage, and pecans. So much flavor and texture going on here! Perfect along our favorite Roast Turkey and the very best Mashed Potatoes!
Crockpot or Oven Baked Cornbread Stuffing:
As you’ll note in the recipe card, there are directions for making this in your slow cooker, or baking in the oven. I personally like making this in my slow cooker. We already have things like Corn Casserole and Sweet Potato Casserole in my oven, so it saves some space for me. But, either works just fine. You can note that prep is the same, and you can make this recipe ahead. See the full recipe card and print it out so that you have it handy. To make ahead, you can do so 3 days in advance. I don’t recommend freezing this recipe. However, you can mix everything together, and then refrigerate and it lasts just fine.
How Do You Dry Cornbread for Stuffing:
This is so easy! You can use a homemade cornbread if you prefer, otherwise you will use a box of stuffing mix, and one loaf of french bread.
- Bake the cornbread according to package (or personal recipe) directions. Let it cool completely, then cut into cubes.
- Place the cubed cornbread, and French loaf on a large baking sheet. Use two sheets if you need, the bread should be in a single layer.
- Toast in a 250 degree oven for about 45 minutes.
- If you don’t want to dry the bread in the oven. You can cut into cubes and leave in a covered bowl for up to 24 hours on your counter.
Slow Cooker Cornbread Stuffing
- 1 8.5 Ounce Box Cornbread Mix
- 1/2 (About 3 Cups) Loaf French bread
- 1 Pound Ground Pork Sausage
- 1 Medium Yellow onion diced
- 2 1/2 Cups Chicken or Vegetable broth
- 2 Large Eggs,
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, Melted
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Sage
- 1 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 Cup Pecan Halves
FOR THE BREAD:
- Bake the cornbread according to package directions. Cool completely and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Place the cubed cornbread and French bread on a large baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Alternately, cube both breads, and place in 1-2 large bowls. Allow to sit on the counter for 24 hours, covered, until dried out.
FOR THE SLOW COOKER:
- Pour the dried bread into a greased slow cooker.
- Cook the sausage and diced onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through. Drain grease if necessary, and pour over the bread.
- Beat together the broth, eggs, butter, salt, thyme, and sage. Pour over the bread. mixture and stir to coat
- Add in the cranberries and pecans and stir well. Cover and cook on low for 1-2 hours. Stir lightly before serving.
TO BAKE IN THE OVEN:
- Dry the bread as directed above.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Pour the cubed bread into the dish and spread out evenly.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook together the sausage and onion until the sausage is cooked through.
- Beat the broth, eggs, butter, salt, thyme, and sage together then pour over the bread and toss to coat.
- Stir in the dried cranberries and pecans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until golden.