The best ever cornbread recipe! A super easy to make cornbread that is tender, buttery, and moist. Serve it with my whipped cinnamon butter for an extra amazing treat!
Remember to follow The Salty Marshmallow on Pinterest for all things that make me hungry!
Give me all the cornbread. Give it to me now.
I have ALWAYS loved cornbread….warm out of the oven with butter melting right into the top.
It’s an absolute fall/winter/holiday season staple in my house!
So is this whipped cinnamon butter you see on top.
I don’t like super sweet cornbread. I want it buttery, mildly sweet, super soft….THEN I want to add my own sweet butter concoction.
The ridiculously delish result of this cornbread recipe is completely worth the couple of extra steps it takes to make it homemade.
Skip the box, trust me on this one!
When I’m not enjoying this with cinnamon butter….I like to crumble it up and put it in THIS stuffing recipe.
I’m going to be bold here and just say, that in my opinion, this is the only cornbread recipe you’ll ever need.
Serve it hot out of the oven table side with a big old bowl of chili, immediately fall in love. Never come back from heavenly cornbread land.
*NOTE: I made this in my cast iron skillet, and that is what the recipe below calls for, if you don’t have a cast iron, just use an 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish. The buttermilk is a must for this recipe!
Best Cornbread Recipe
- 1 Stick Butter plus two Tablespoons melted
- 1 1/4 Cups Cornmeal
- 3/4 Cup All purpose flour
- 1/4 Cup Granulated sugar
- 2 Tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking soda
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Large eggs
- CINNAMON BUTTER:
- 1 Stick butter softened
- 1/4 Cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tsp ground cinnamon
- Arrange oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Use 2 Tablespoons of melted butter to coat the bottom and sides of cast iron skillet, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy. Whisk in the milk and buttermilk until combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Mix just until dry pieces are incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the remaining stick of melted butter. Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes.
- Place cast iron skillet into the oven to pre-heat while batter is resting, 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven with oven mits and pour in the batter.
- Bake 15 minutes, until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cinnamon Butter:
- Beat together the butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon with hand mixer in a medium bowl.
- Serve over warm cornbread as desired.