Orzo stuffed peppers are filled with orzo, pesto, cherry tomatoes, and tangy feta cheese. The creamy mozzarella melted on top of these stuffed peppers really adds so much great flavor!
Orzo Stuffed Peppers:
These peppers may be my new favorite summer dinner! They're really easy to make, super fresh, cheesy and amazing texture and flavor! I love serving these stuffed peppers because they're really so pretty in addition to being delicious. This is great as a side dish or a main, and fun to serve to guests as well! If you love orzo try our Creamy Chicken Orzo! Our Crockpot Stuffed Peppers are also great too!
Ingredient/Recipe Notes for These Stuffed Peppers:
Ingredients needed; Orzo, salt, avocado oil, red bell peppers, garlic cloves, shallot, pesto, corn, cherry tomatoes, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, feta, mozzarella, and basil.
This dish travels so well and can be cooked before serving.
You can use yellow, green, and red bell peppers.
You can replace the orzo with white or brown rice.
This is a great summer recipe especially if you are a gardener.
You can cook the peppers in a slow cooker instead of turning on the oven. Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until the peppers are tender. Crockpot stuffed peppers will make life easier if time is not on your side.
You can also cook the peppers in the air fryer as well. Follow the same steps as above. Air fryer stuffed peppers or from the oven both work well.
FAQ's For Orzo Stuffed Peppers:
How Do I Store The Leftovers?
You can store the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. The peppers can also be frozen in the freezer for up to 3 months. Wrap each pepper with saran wrap and then aluminum foil. Place in an airtight freezer container.
What Can I Add To The Cheese Stuffed Peppers?
You can add prosciutto, chorizo, Italian sausage, ground chicken, or beef to the orzo mixture to make more of a meal out of this dish. If you are putting meat in the peppers this
What Is Orzo?
If you aren't familiar with it, orzo is a type of short cut pasta. It looks very similar to rice! You can find it at the grocery store along with all of the other dried shelf stable pasta.
Orzo Stuffed Peppers
- 1 Cup Orzo Pasta
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 4 Red Bell Peppers
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves finely chopped
- 1 Shallot finely sliced
- Lemon juice from ½ a lemon
- ½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Cup Pesto
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 1 Cup Feta
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil on top
- In a large pot boil your water over high heat. Add in the orzo and salt. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until al dente. Stir occasionally so the orzo doesn’t stick to the pot.
- While the orzo is cooking wash the peppers and dry them with a clean kitchen town. Cut the peppers in half longways. Keep the stems intact. Remove the seeds and any membranes. Place the peppers in an oiled baking dish and bake at 350 ° F for 20 minutes.
- Remove the orzo from the heat and drain. Do not rinse. Set aside.
- To the same pot (no need to clean it) add it back to the burner over low to medium heat. Add the tomatoes, oil, garlic, shallot, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to the large pot. Saute for 3-5 minutes or until the tomatoes have softened.
- To the pot add the orzo, pesto, ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, and ¾ cup feta cheese. Stir until fully incorporated. Remove from the heat.
- Fill up each half of the bell peppers evenly with the orzo mixture.
- Sprinkle the tops with the remainder of the mozzarella cheese and feta cheese.
- Bake at 350 ° F for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from the oven.
- Garnish with the basil leaves.