One Pot Pizza Pasta is a super easy casserole made in under 20 minutes! Stuffed with savory Italian sausage, peppers, and onions, smothered in a rich marinara sauce and covered in melty cheese, this dish is the best of all your pizza and pasta worlds!
One Pot Pizza Pasta
One pot pizza pasta…say that five times fast! Don’t worry, the recipe itself is way easier than that tongue twister. I think I could live off pizza alone, but pizza as a pasta dish? That is what dreams are made of. This dish is quick and easy to throw together and can be made faster than it takes to preheat an oven and cook a frozen pizza. Brown your sausage, sauté your veggies, and cook your pasta right in the sauce and broth. Smother in cheese and pepperoni and you’ve got a dinner perfect for potlucks or a weekend in front of the TV. All in one pot makes for an easy cleanup, no delivery fee added!
Can I make this pasta into different variations of pizza?
Yes! One of the things I love best about pizza and pasta as a concept is that both dishes are so customizable and really let creativity in the kitchen shine through. Have a favorite white pizza? Use alfredo sauce instead of marinara. Add some chicken, spinach, artichokes, and breadcrumbs. Want a Hawaiian version? Use this base and throw in some pineapple chunks and bacon bits. The great thing about this recipe is that you can decide what sauce and what ingredients to add. With so many options, every night can be pizza pasta night!
How To Make One Pot Pizza Pasta
- Cook the meat and veggies. Place a large pot over medium heat and cook the sausage thoroughly. Drain any excess fat. Add the chopped bell pepper and onion and saute until mostly cooked.
- Add the pasta. Pour in 2 cups of beef broth, the jar of marinara sauce. And your rigatoni. Season with garlic and onion powder, dried oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, and a dash of salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Boil. Bring the pasta to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook until the pasta is tender, about 15 minutes or so.
- Add the last of the toppings. Uncover the pasta and add in the pepperoni, black olives (if using), and half of the shredded cheese. Stir.
- Top and serve. Top with the remaining cheese and let cook for 2-3 minutes until everything is nice and melted. Add more pepperoni if desired, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and parmesan and serve. Enjoy!
Storing One Pot Pizza Pasta
Store leftover pasta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave until warmed up. Feel free to add more sauce or cheese while you’re at it!
Ingredients Notes for One Pot Pizza Pasta
- Italian Sausage – Mild or spicy works great. You can also substitute ground beef, turkey, chicken, or a plant based option depending on your preference!
- Bell pepper – I typically opt for classic green, but red bell peppers are delicious in this too.
- Onion – White or red for this dish. Yellow can be used if you have that on hand already.
- Black Olives – I love this extra bit of flavor and texture but they are optional.
- Pasta – I like the shape of the rigatoni. I think it holds the sauce and cheese really well but you can opt for a similar style of short or hollow pasta.
- Pepperoni – The bag of pre sliced pepperonis are super easy to whip out but you could slice your own for a more authentic feel if you are so inclined.
- Marinara Sauce – Choose your favorite store bought or make your own, like this Easy Pizza Sauce.
- Cheese – Freshly shredded cheddar and mozzarella are the perfect combo here.
- Beef broth – While you could use water or vegetable broth, I find the beef broth gives the dish a much richer flavor.
- Seasoning – Feel free to blend your own but my ideal blend is: garlic and onion powder, dried oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, and a dash of salt and pepper.
One Pot Pizza Pasta
- 1 Pound Italian Sausage
- 1 Large Bell Pepper chopped
- 1/2 White or Red Onion chopped
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 24 Slices Pepperoni cut in half
- 16 Ounces Rigatoni Pasta
- 1 24 Ounce Jar Marinara Sauce
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Cook the sausage, bell pepper, and onion in a large pot over medium heat until sausage is cooked through. Drain excess grease if necessary.
- Add the beef broth, marinara sauce, box of pasta, and all the seasonings to the pot and stir.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover pot and cook for 15 minutes, until pasta is tender.
- Add the pepperoni, black olives if using, 1 cup of the mozzarella, and the shredded cheddar cheese to the pot and stir.
- Top with remaining mozzarella and additional pepperonis and allow to cook for 2-3 more minutes, until cheese is melted.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.