I’m going to go ahead and call this post “The Cereal Diaries” part one of course. Hopefully I am not alone in that we are not big cereal eaters in my house. It’s just not something I buy. I’d much rather have a smoothie bowl for breakfast. That’s my truth. I also don’t buy it because when I do, my kiddos usually have one bowl of it, then the sad cereal box sits on the counter for a ridiculous amount of time. But, alas, I take the kids to the store with me, they ask for that colorful box of cereal goodness….I remind them that it never gets eaten. They say they promise with their sweet little hearts they will eat the cereal this time. They don’t. I love them anyway.
I love them so much that I take that box o’cereal that is about to go to waste, and make them some really yummy after school snacks out of it! I’m talking cereal at the next level. Cereal coated in marshmallow, just like those krispy treats we all love, then topped with a layer of sweet white chocolate, and drizzled with dark chocolate to really turn what could have been breakfast into dessert.
Like I mentioned above, these are exactly like making regular old rice krispy treats until we add the chocolate. Pretty darn simple. Since we are going to take these out of the pan to get the chocolate on them, make sure you butter your 9×13 really well so that you can flip them out onto a cutting board or parchment paper.
Now, go get your “I do what I want” attitude and cut them into whatever size you like! Dip them into the white chocolate and let them sit until the chocolate is firm. You can put them in the refrigerator for a bit to speed this process up. Just let them come to room temp before eating so that you don’t have to bite into a hard treat.
I always melt my chocolate on the stove top. The microwave makes me nervous because I end up with scorched chocolate. Play it safe folks! For your dark chocolate, once it’s melted, spoon into a little ziplock and snip the corner off to make your life and chocolate drizzling easy.
Enjoy your homemade cereal bars!
Recipe for you below!
***NOTE*** The cook time listed will be the time it takes to melt the butter and marshmallows, and the time to melt the chocolate. You may find that it takes you a little less or little longer.
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest!!
- Cereal Treats:
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 10 ounce bag miniature marshmallows
- 6 Cups Crunch Berries or Oops All Berries cereal
- 1 10 ounce bag white chocolate chips
- 6 ounces Bittersweet chocolate
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Melt 6 Tbsp. butter in a large pot over medium-low heat.
- When butter is melted, stir in marshmallows and continue to stir until marshmallows are smooth and melted.
- Remove pan from heat and gently stir in cereal.
- Using a buttered spatula, spread cereal mixture into prepared pan.
- Allow to cool 1-2 hours, until firm.
- Loosen treats by running a butter knife around edges of the pan.
- Flip pan over onto parchment paper.
- Cut treats into desired sizes.
- Melt white chocolate slowly in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.
- When chocolate is melted use a spoon to spread the white chocolate onto the treats, or dip them directly into the chocolate.
- Place treats back onto parchment paper, white chocolate side up.
- Allow white chocolate to become firm, about 30 minutes.
- Melt bittersweet chocolate in a small saucepan with 1 Tbsp. butter over low heat.
- When chocolate is smooth and melted, spoon into a small ziplock bag.
- Snip a very small piece off the corner of the bag and drizzle chocolate over treats.