Italian Chopped Salad! Salami, pepperoni, mozzarella, and so much more come together to create a medley of signature Italian flavors. This easy to make chopped salad is flavorful, filling, and delightfully simple!
Italian Chopped Salad
This hearty, salami and pepperoni loaded salad satisfies both your empty belly and your craving for something salty and savory. With that being said, there are some nutrient loaded veggies in the mix like cherry tomatoes and romaine lettuce that help keep things light. When all of these classic Italian ingredients are tossed in a dressing made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and Italian herbs, it becomes pretty irresistible. Be sure to try out our Strawberry Spinach Salad this summer too!
What to Serve with Italian Chopped Salad
Italian Chopped Salad is one of my favorite salads to enjoy for lunch! It’s got plenty of meat to actually keep me full until dinner, and the veggies keep things light enough to not weigh me down. This is a great one for dinner too and it eats like a whole meal! It’s a quick recipe, too, so I don’t have to take a lot of time out of my busy day to treat myself to a homemade lunch. If I am serving this for dinner I love it with a slice of Homemade Garlic Bread!
How to Make Italian Chopped Salad Ahead of Time
Don’t toss all of your ingredients together with the dressing until you’re ready to serve! Once the salad has been tossed up with the dressing, it’ll need to be eaten within the hour. After that point, the lettuce will start to wilt and the salad won’t taste as fresh anymore. However, you can
prepare all of the ingredients and keep them stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about 2 days. Keep the dressing also stored in an airtight container in the fridge, then toss it accordingly when you’re ready to serve it.
Mozzarella - You can use pre-shredded mozzarella if that's what you have on hand! However if you have fresh mozzarella, it's truly the best!
Black Pepper - For the most noticeable flavor, grind the black peppercorns yourself.
Red Onion - Red onions have the most bold, potent onion-y taste, so don’t substitute this onion with any other color of onion!
Romaine Lettuce - I like to chop the lettuce myself instead of buying a plastic bag of pre-chopped lettuce, mainly because the lettuce is always more vibrant and fesh that way. Be sure to rinse it prior to chopping. You can use bagged lettuce if that's your preference!
Olives - You can use black olives, green, castelvetrano, or kalamata olives here. Use whatever you love best.
Italian Chopped Salad
- ⅓ Cup Olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning freshly ground
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon G round black pepper
- 8 Cups Romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 10-oz Package of cherry tomatoes, each sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 Cup Sliced pepperoni each cut into 4 pieces
- 1 Cup Sliced salami each cut into 4 pieces
- 1 Cup Mozzarella freshly shredded
- 1 Bell pepper seeded and diced
- ½ Cup Sliced black olives
- ½ Cup Red onion chopped
- ½ Cup Sliced green olives
- ½ Cup Shaved parmesan cheese
- Mix the olive oil, red wine vinegar, Italian herbs, salt and pepper together in a small bowl until combined.
- Add the lettuce to a large bowl and pour the vinaigrette over it then toss to combine.
- Add the tomatoes, pepperoni, salami, mozzarella, green pepper, black olives, onion, green olives and parmesan and gently toss again to combine.
- Serve immediately with freshly minced parsley if desired.