Instant Pot Shredded Chicken comes out perfectly juicy and tender every time! The easiest way to make a big batch of chicken for your favorite recipes!
You guys have been asking for this one long enough! My Crockpot Shredded Chicken has been one of my most popular recipes, and one of the first that ever went on the blog. But, I've had so many of you reach out and ask for the same recipe, but how to make it work in your pressure cooker. Happy to report that I have been super pleased with the results after testing this a few times to make sure the cook time was just right. I've tried this out in a 6-quart and 8-quart Instant Pot from fresh, and from frozen, and I'm going to give you all the directions so you can make it work best for you!
What To Make With Shredded Chicken:
Chicken is so versatile! These are a few of my favorite dishes to use it in!
- BLT Chicken Chopped Salad
- One Pan Chicken Lasagna
- The Best Ever Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Amazing Chicken Tortilla Soup
- These Super Fun Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Easy Cashew Chicken Pasta Salad
How To Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken:
- Add your chicken breasts, fresh or frozen to the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Season the breasts as evenly as you can, then pour over the chicken broth.
- Place the lid on the pot and set the valve to sealing.
- Cook on manual. This recipe calls for 3 pounds of chicken, if cooking from fresh (raw) they will cook for 13 minutes. If cooking from frozen, up the time to 16 minutes.
- Keep in mind that it will take about 10 minutes for the pot to come to pressure, then, it will need to natural pressure release for 10 minutes before opening.
How To Shred The Chicken:
There are a few ways you can shred your chicken to your own preference, so I thought I'd give you a few options. Once you remove the lid from the pot, turn the instant pot off. As you can see in the photo below, I like to shred my chicken right in the Instant Pot. I do this because then I can kind of swirl the chicken around in the juices, and remove it to a bowl with a slotted spoon to cool. If you'd prefer, you can remove the breasts to a large bowl first. Then, use two forks or a hand mixer to shred the chicken really easily.
How To Save This Chicken For Later:
If you're making this ahead, shred the chicken, then allow it to cool. Place in a sealed container or large zip top bag. This will last in the refrigerator for about 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If you freeze the chicken, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator for several hours before using.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 3 Pounds Chicken Breasts, Fresh or Frozen
- 3 Cups Chicken Stock or Broth
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- Place the chicken breasts into the bottom of the instant pot and sprinkle evenly with the seasonings, then pour over the broth.
- Place the lid on the pot and set the valve to sealing.
- FOR FROZEN CHICKEN BREASTS: Cook on manual, high setting for 16 minutes.
- FOR FRESH (RAW) CHICKEN BREASTS: Cook on manual, high setting for 13 minutes.
- Once the cook time is up, allow the pot to natural pressure release for 10 minutes. Then, carefully open the valve to remove any excess steam.
- Turn the Instant Pot off and shred the chicken in the pot, or remove to a bowl and shred using two forks or a hand mixer.
- Use immediately, or once cool, refrigerate in an airtight bag or container for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Jennifer Forrest says
Best recipe i have tried for shredded chicken, thanks for sharing!
Can I Use This Recipe In A Crockpot?
I haven't used this recipe exactly, but I have cooked chicken breast (thawed) on low for three hours (until the chicken has an internal temp of 165F). It turns out perfect for me every time. I don't use any liquid in the slowcooked recipe, so it may need additional spices if you follow this recipe for spices.
I've never had an easier time shredding chicken.
Super easy and delicious. Thanks so much!
Looks good. Thanks
Thanks for this recipe. It makes delicious shredded chicken plus great chicken broth for soup with some of the chicken.
I add a can of green chili's. OH my, yes!
Thank you for sharing this recipe! I followed it to the tee with 3 lbs of chicken and it made 8 cups of juicy shredded chicken in the instant pot. I am just thrilled to be able to make multiple meals with this! So easy and very economical. I'm a big fan of your recipe!
Since you're using 3 cups of stock to 3 lbs of chicken can I safely assume that if I'm only cooking approx. 1 lb of chicken I need only 1 cup of broth. There is only my husband and myself (we're retired seniors) and I don't want to waste food is I can help it. Thank you for the time and effort you devote producing these wonderful recipes!
i’m new to using the instant pot but this recipe seemed so simple i just had to try it. but, i don’t see any button labeled “manual” to choose from. so, what should i select?
thanks so much
Hi, do you see a "pressure cook" option? or meat option would work as well. Hope that helps!
Sandra | A Dash of Sanity says
This is really awesome! Finally! The secret to perfectly juicy chicken!
Melanie Bauer says
Looks spectacular! Love how versatile this recipe is and super easy to make, this is a winner!
Such a good find! I have such a hard time making my chicken juicy and versatile for the whole week and this is perfect! Delicious! Definitely shred in the sauce!
Just made this again this week (I only do a pound of chicken but still do the 3 cups broth, and added Italian seasoning this time). Tasted the remaining broth after cooking and it was super good! Put it into two little Mason jars and now have a grab and go soup, just drop in shredded chicken and greens. Seriously love this recipe! Thank you!!!
For such a simple dish it came out of the Instant Pot with out of this world flavor. The chicken was super moist and perfect for so many meals. We had leftovers and have placed it in the freezer for future use.
I made a large batch of this chicken the other night and used it for tacos yesterday and salads are on the menu for tomorrow. I love how versatile, delicious, and easy to make!
BEST SHREDDED CHICKEN EVER!!!
Katerina @ diethood .com says
I LOVE that I can make this in my Instant Pot!!
do you have recommendation for cook time per pound. thanks
I loved this! After making it, I have used it in several dishes 🙂