Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak is a simple and fun dinner recipe the whole family will love! Sandwiches full of tender beef, with an easy homemade cheese sauce!
I love a good Philly Cheesesteak sandwich, it's easily one of the ultimate comfort foods for me and my family. What's not to love about melt in your mouth beef smothered in a creamy cheese sauce? We had a great little restaurant in town that made great Philly cheesesteaks, but, of course, they closed down this year! So much sadness! Anyway, if there is one thing I love making most in my Instant Pot it is meat! When done correctly, you can have super tender and juicy meat in a snap, just like these Instant Pot Chicken thighs and my Instant Pot Pulled Pork.
How to Make Philly Cheesesteak in the Instant Pot:
Below you will see a little collage of photos to walk you through the process of making these. It's a very simple process, but I wanted you to see the steps, in case you're new to using an Instant Pot.
- You will want to freeze your beef if time allows. Pop it in the freezer for 30 minutes and this will help you to slice the beef as thin as possible.
- After your beef is sliced, season it evenly, then, slice up your onion. Then, turn your instant pot to saute and melt your butter.
- Once the butter is melted, cook the beef and onion just until the onion is tender and the beef is seared. This will take about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour your beef broth into the pot and turn the pot off. Use a wooden spoon to stir and scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. This will keep you from getting that dreaded burn notice!
- Place the lid on the pot and cook on manual/high pressure for 6 minutes. The pot will take about 5 minutes to come to pressure, 6 minutes to cook, then 10 minutes of natural pressure release time.
How To Make Cheese Sauce For Philly Cheesesteak:
I like to make my own homemade cheese sauce to go with these. You can simply make it in a pot on the stovetop while your meat is cooking. If you prefer, you can purchase jarred cheese sauce or even just top them with provolone cheese.
- To start the sauce, melt the butter in a medium sauce-pan over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted whisk in the flour. Whisk constantly for 2 minutes.
- Gradually pour in the milk while constantly whisking until the mixture is completely smooth. I mix my milk into the flour in about 3 parts for best results.
- Whisk in your seasonings, then remove the pan from the heat and immediately stir in the cheese until smooth.
I know a lot of you received an Instant Pot as a Christmas gift this year, and I'd love to hear what all you are making! Try these out, and leave me a comment telling me how you enjoyed them!
Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak
FOR THE MEAT:
- 2 Pounds Top Sirloin Steak
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Large Onion, Sliced
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE:
- 4 Tablespoons Butter, Divided
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Dijon Mustard, Optional
- ¼ Teaspoon Hot Sauce, Optional
- ¾ Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Hoagie Rolls, For Serving
FOR THE MEAT:
- *OPTIONAL: For best results, place the steak into the freezer for 30 minutes. This makes thinly slicing the steak easier.
- Preheat the Instant Pot to Saute.
- Slice the steak into thin strips and season with garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Add two tablespoons of the butter to the hot Instant Pot. Add the steak, onion, and peppers and saute, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Turn the Instant Pot off. Pour the beef broth into the bottom of the pot and use a wooden spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- Place the lid on the pot and set to sealing. Cook on manual/high for 6 minutes.
- Allow the pot to come to pressure naturally for 10 minutes before removing the lid.
FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE:
- While the meat is cooking under pressure, heat a medium saucepan on the stove over medium heat.
- Add the butter and stir until melted. Sprinkle the flour over the butter, cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk the milk into the flour mixture, turn the heat to low and simmer for about 3 minutes until thick. Whisk in the salt, pepper, dijon mustard, and hot sauce.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Remove the meat from the Instant Pot with a slotted spoon, discarding the broth.
- Serve the meat mixture in hoagies topped with cheese sauce as desired.