Ham and Rice Casserole is an easy, one pot recipe made right on your stove top! You'll love this savory recipe for leftover ham, or any ham you have on hand!
Ham and Rice Casserole:
I absolutely love ham, and always keep a package of either diced/cubed/or sliced deli ham in my refrigerator! I can't always wait until the holiday's when I have a leftover ham to make some of my favorite dishes! This casserole is so easy, one pot, and no baking time required at all! It's ready to serve in 30 minutes! This ham and rice is a complete meal with tender chunks of ham, long grain rice, broccoli, and of course some gooey sharp cheddar. This skillet meal also has absolutely no heavy cream in it, so you can make it ahead and freeze for later if you want! Check out some of the other ham recipes we love while you are here! A couple of my personal favorites are Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins, and our better than classic Ham and Bean Soup!
Ham & Rice Recipe Notes:
- I like the flavor of chicken broth or stock in this recipe the best! You can also use vegetable broth if that's what you have on hand. I don't recommend using water, because it won't add enough flavor to the rice.
- You can store this cooked dish, minus the cheese once cooled in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Or, you can store it in a zip-top bag in the freezer for up to three months!
- If you are freezing this recipe, you need to allow it to thaw for a good 8-12 hours in the refrigerator before heating it back up. To reheat, add a small amount of olive oil (about 2 teaspoons) to a large skillet and gently warm over medium heat. Add the cheese at the end once the dish is warmed through.
- You can use fresh or frozen (thawed) broccoli for this recipe! If you don't like broccoli, you can leave it out or try adding in some fresh green beans or chopped asparagus spears.
- This recipe works fine with almost any kind of ham! You can use diced, cubed, leftover spiral ham or even some chopped up deli ham. You'll want about 2 cups of ham total for best results.
Ham and Rice Casserole
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Small White Onion peeled and diced
- 1 Tablespoon Finely Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- Pinch Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Long Grain White Rice
- 2 ¾ Cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Heads Broccoli cut into bite size florets (about 3 cups)
- 1 16 Ounce Pack Cooked Diced Ham
- 8 Ounces Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Add the butter to a deep skillet or a soup pot over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook until it becomes translucent.
- Then add the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Cook for another minute then add the rice and sauté until the rice starts to turn a light golden color.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring it to a boil over high heat. Then cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, cut the large pieces of ham into smaller pieces and set aside.
- Once the 10 minutes have passed, remove the lid from the rice and gently stir in the broccoli and ham.
- Place the lid back on the pan and cook for another 8 minutes then add the freshly grated cheese and stir to combine.
- Place the lid back on the pot and remove it from the heat.
- Let the cheese melt before serving with fresh parsley if desired.
Looking for something a bit different and came across your recipe. Made this for supper and my husband was very happy with this dish. Was very tasty and so quick to make. Delicious! I did add some slivered carrots as well. Thank you for sharing. This is a new comfort food dish for my house.
This was delicious! We used leftover spiral ham and we were out of onions but had shallots so we used those instead. My 7 year old has been super picky lately but he even loved it. The only thing I would change next time is to make a larger batch!
also curious as whether brown rice could be substituted? I assume you would just need to increase the cooking time before adding the ham & broccoli to maybe 30 minutes since it takes 45 minutes to cook normally.
Could frozen broccoli be used in this? Warmed up first and then tossed in?
I will be making this again, and sharing your very tasty recipe with family. Ingredient measurements and step by step instructions were so helpful!
Using brown rice. Cooked or uncooked?
I used 2 cups of sliced pre cooked deli ham and only a cup of fresh broccoli florets. And it was just the right amount. Also I threw an extra handful of cheese in. Very good. Broccoli cooked just right and dinner was a hit! Even my picky 3 year old enjoyed this. Side of garlic or cheese toast goes well.
My husband said he could have this every night for dinner! So easy and quick to prepare.
Made this last night for dinner.... holy smokes was it wonderful! Even my 2year old loved it! Hardly had enough for leftovers for my husband's lunch!! This is a new family favorite!
I doubled the batch and added milk for half the liquid as well as using Mozzarella cheese for half of it. Delicious!
Delicious. Had a red onion that needed using and turned out great. I also pan seared my ham first for a little extra flavor. Will make again!
Made this tonight with beef broth (we didn't have chicken broth). It was very good!! Easy, too. Only needed 1 head of broc and used less than a cup of rice. Happy with this recipe, it is perfect for leftover ham or fresh 🙂