French Onion Beef Gnocchi is a super simple, one pan, 30 minute dinner recipe! This gnocchi is packed full of beef, caramelized onions, and gooey cheese!
Another French onion recipe that we are completely obsessed with! You guys love our French Onion Salisbury Steak and our one pan French Onion Beef and Noodles, so I am more than happy to keep these recipes coming! I also know you will be happy with the simple ingredient list! You probably already have most of the ingredients on hand, I always keep a pack of gnocchi in the pantry! This dish is so easy using packaged gnocchi, ground beef, simple seasonings, and whatever cheeses that you like best. The longest part of this recipe is actually caramelizing your onions, but it’s worth it! If you aren’t familiar with gnocchi, you can find it in any grocery store by the boxed pasta. It cooks really quick, and I talk about it more in our Roasted Red Pepper Gnocchi Recipe, which you have to try too!
French Onion Beef Gnocchi Notes:
- I prefer ground beef in this recipe, and I like to use lean beef so I don’t have to deal with a lot of grease! You could also swap it out with Italian sausage, or even cooked shredded rotisserie chicken as well.
- Make sure you use beef broth in this recipe! It doesn’t have that same French onion flavor if you use chicken or veggie broth.
- You should be able to use the regular package gnocchi, or frozen in this recipe. Just keep in mind that frozen will take a few minutes longer to cook all the way through.
- Keep an eye on this once the gnocchi is added! Gnocchi cooks really fast in only 3-5 minutes usually. Don’t let it over cook, or it will turn into a gummy texture.
- For the cheeses, feel free to use your favorite! I’ve tried this with Swiss, mozzarella, provolone, and parmesan. Basically a mixture of any is great. Swiss is more traditional with French onion things, but I prefer provolone and parmesan myself.
French Onion Beef Gnocchi
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Large Yellow Onions, Thinly Sliced
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 16 Ounces Gnocchi
- 1 1/3 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 Cup Shredded Swiss or Provolone Cheese
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and stir to coat with the butter.
- Continue cooking the onions, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes until golden and soft. Then, remove the onions to a large plate and set aside.
- Add the ground beef and garlic to the skillet. Season with salt, pepper, thyme, basil, and red pepper flakes. Cook, crumbling as you go until no longer pink. Drain any excess grease if necessary.
- Add the gnocchi and beef broth to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes, just until the gnocchi is soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the onions back to the pan and stir to combine.
- Top with the cheeses and cover the pan for 1-2 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.