Roasted Red Pepper Gnocchi Recipe is so easy to make in one pan and 20 minutes! The roasted red pepper sauce and mozzarella make this unforgettable!
Starting off the year with one of my favorite recipes to hit The Salty Marshmallow so far! If you don't often make gnocchi at home, you have to start! If you aren't familiar with it at all, it's located at any grocery store with the rest of the dried pasta. Gnocchi cooks up in only 3-5 minutes, making one of the fastest dinners you've ever had. The sauce uses jarred roasted red peppers and comes together in the blender in just a couple of minutes. Can't get enough Gnocchi? Try out our Creamy Pesto Gnocchi which is another 20 minute recipe and this amazing Olive Garden Copycat Chicken Gnocchi Soup!
Roasted Red Pepper Gnocchi Recipe:
Let's talk about what goes into this dish, how to streamline your cooking so that this is fast for you, and what tools you'll want to have handy!
- Italian Sausage: Cook this first in a large cast iron or any ovenproof skillet in a bit of olive oil, then drain it on a paper towel lined plate and get the same skillet right back on the stove.
- Roasted Red Peppers, Garlic Cloves, Oregano, Basil, Red Pepper Flakes. You'll blend all of this up in a high powered blender, or your food processor along with about ¼ cup of the juice from the jar of peppers. Do this while the sausage is cooking.
- Gnocchi. You'll want to use dried gnocchi that is not frozen. It goes right into the pan you used to cook the sausage, along with the red pepper sauce, some chicken broth, and the cooked Italian sausage. Simmer for just 3 minutes or so, until your gnocchi is soft.
- Top your gnocchi skillet with mozzarella cheese as desired. I used fresh, torn mozzarella, but shredded is fine too if that's what you have. Broil it in the oven for just a couple of minutes to get the cheese melted.
- Parmesan, Basil, and Optional Extra Herbs. This is all for topping when the pan comes out of the oven. I recommend using shredded parmesan and fresh Basil if possible. If you don't have fresh, dried works too. I also like to sprinkle a bit of extra oregano over the top before serving.
Roasted Red Pepper Gnocchi
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Italian Sausage
- 1 16 Ounce Jar Roasted Red Peppers, Juice Reserved
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- ½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Pinch Salt & Pepper
- 1 Cup Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 16 Ounces Dried Gnocchi
- 6-8 Ounces Fresh or Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- ⅓ Cup Fresh Basil, Optional See Note
- Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Pour the cooked sausage onto a paper towel lined plate to drain the grease.
- Meanwhile, add the roasted red peppers with about ¼ cup of their juice, the garlic cloves, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a blender or food processor and pulse for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Return the skillet to the stove. Add the cooked sausage, the gnocchi, the red pepper sauce, and the broth to the pan and stir well. Simmer over medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes, just until gnocchi is soft.
- Top the gnocchi with the mozzarella as desired. Place under your oven broiler (on high) for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and top with parmesan and basil. Serve immediately.