This English Muffin Breakfast Skillet has so much flavor! An easy, hearty, and delicious cast iron skillet recipe that will please the whole family!
Out of all of the breakfast recipes on my site it occurred to me that I don’t have even ONE that uses English muffins, or one that is made in a cast iron! I love my skillet, as you can tell from my photos around here, it gets used a whole lot! I’m also a sucker for an English Muffin and their toasty goodness, and the delicious puddles of butter in all their nooks and crannies! This breakfast skillet came out so delicious and I’d gladly eat it for breakfast or even dinner, perks also that it’s really easy to make! While you’re here, if you’re looking for more breakfasts, try out our Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole, the best homemade Sausage Gravy, and for something sweet try out Bananas Foster French Toast Casserole!
How To Make English Muffin Breakfast Skillet:
- First things first, preheat your oven because this will need to bake for about 20 minutes. Grab four English muffins, split them in half using a serrated knife, then cut each half into 6 pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together your eggs, half & half, dijon mustard, and seasonings. Then, add your english muffins to the egg mix and stir with a spoon until the english muffins are nice and coated, set them aside.
- Grab your cast iron skillet and cook your diced onions in butter until nice and caramelized! Then, stir in the garlic and cook for just 1 minute longer while stirring constantly.
- Pour the onions/garlic into the bowl with the eggs/muffins. Add in your chopped ham and shredded cheese and stir everything until well combined. Pour everything into your skillet in an even layer and bake!
Tips for English Muffin Breakfast Skillet:
- You will need to use a large 10-12 inch cast iron skillet for this recipe. It will fit in a skillet that is smaller, but it will take longer to cook.
- I haven’t ever had trouble with this sticking to my pan after baking. If you are concerned about it, you can melt an extra Tablespoon of butter in your skillet before adding the muffin mixture and baking.
- I like to cook the onions for a good 5-6 minutes to really get some golden color on them. But, this is optional. You can also just cook them until soft if that’s what you prefer.
- I simply use sliced deli ham for this recipe, and you’ll need 1/2 pound or about 1.5 Cups. Feel free to use leftover ham, or store bought cubed ham if you prefer.
- You can also use 1 pound of cooked/crumbled breakfast sausage, or even bacon for this recipe. If using either of these, make sure to drain the grease very well after cooking.
- Any type of English muffin will work here! You can use plain white like I did, whole grain, sourdough, or gluten free!
- Also, use any kind of shredded cheese you like! I prefer to use Mozzarella and I like it shredded right off of the block. But, this would be good with your favorite cheese, and you can use pre-shredded here if you wish.
English Muffin Breakfast Skillet
- 4 English Muffins
- 6 Large Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Half & Half
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Hot Sauce
- Salt & Pepper, To Taste
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Small Onion, Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 Pound Sliced Ham
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the English Muffins on a cutting board and use a serrated knife to split them in half. Then, cut each half into six pieces.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, half & half, mustard, hot sauce, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Add the cubes of English muffin to the egg mixture and stir to coat. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally for 5-8 minutes, until becoming golden brown. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute then remove the pan from the heat.
- While the onions are cooking, lay out your sliced ham and roughly chop it into bite sized pieces, and shred the cheese.
- Pour the onion and garlic mixture into the egg mixture along with the ham and 1 Cup of the cheese. Stir well.
- Pour the english muffin mixture into your cast iron skillet and spread out evenly. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until eggs are set.
- Serve immediately topped with chives and parsley if desired.
- You can use leftover ham, cubed/diced ham in place of the sliced ham if you wish. You will need about 1 1/2 cups of ham total.
- You can use heavy cream or milk in this recipe. Keep in mind that if you use milk, it may take a few minutes longer to bake.
- Feel free to use any type of English muffins, or cheese that your family prefers.