Easy Vegetable Beef Soup is a simple recipe to make using your stove top, instant pot, or slow cooker! This soup comes together fast using frozen vegetables and canned tomatoes with the perfect amount of seasoning!
Vegetable Beef Soup:
I absolutely love soups like this, and our easy Wonton Soup to start easing into soup season! I love soup and can eat it year round but a nice broth based soup like this is satisfying when it's still somewhat warm outside. This soup is really hearty and filling with the ground beef staying juicy and flavorful. The frozen vegetables make it easy, and the potatoes make it stick to your ribs! I developed this recipe based on our super popular frozen Vegetable Soup, and you'll notice they're very similar. I did change the seasonings and of course cook times up a little to include the beef.
This versatile soup can be made on the stove top, in your Instant Pot, or in your Slow Cooker. You can use whichever you like, and I've found the results great no matter what. This is one of those soups/recipes that you really can't mess up! So, it's perfect for someone who is a new cook, or someone who is a seasoned cook that's had a busy day and just wants a fast hearty meal! If you make this on the stove or instant pot it will take about 30 minutes total, or in the slow cooker about 6-8 hours on low.
Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe Notes and Tips:
- I like to use super lean ground beef here so that the soup doesn't come out greasy. If you use a higher fat ground beef, drain some of the grease from the pan. Ground turkey or ground chicken also work great here if you prefer.
- The mixed vegetables that I use has green beans, carrots, corn, and peas. Feel free to use whatever frozen vegetable mix that you love the best! About 12-16 ounces of veggies total works great.
- For the potatoes you can use yellow, red or even white Russet potatoes. You'll want them cut into about 1 ½-2 inch bite sized pieces, but don't worry about it being absolutely perfect. Just make sure you have 2 cups of cut up potatoes total.
- I use onion, garlic, salt, and pepper only to season this recipe to really let the beef and veggie flavors shine through. You can add in any additional seasonings you want. Basil, oregano, smoked paprika, seasoned salt, or even Italian seasoning are good. If you like a kick, add some red pepper flakes!
- This is a thinner, more broth based soup, but you can thicken it if you want. Just mix 1 Tablespoon cornstarch with 1 Tablespoon of cold water and mix it into the simmering soup at the end before serving.
- This soup freezes really well! Make sure you let it cool all the way, then you can store in airtight freezer save containers or bags for up to 3 months. Just thaw overnight and reheat on the stove gently for a few minutes when ready to serve.
Easy Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- ½ Large White Onion diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 6 Cups of Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 15 Ounce Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 12 Ounce Bag Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- 2-3 Medium Potatoes Cut into 1 inch Pieces (about 2 Cups total once cut)
STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS
- Add the ground beef and onion to a large soup pot over medium-high heat and cook until the beef has browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper and stir and cook just until the garlic becomes fragrant, about one minute
- Add the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, mixed veggies and potatoes to the pan and stir to combine.
- Bring the heat to high and let it come to a boil before reducing the heat to medium and letting it simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes become soft.
- Add more salt to taste then serve with freshly minced parsley for garnish if desired.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS
- Add the ground beef and onion to a large skillet over medium heat and cook until the beef has browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked beef along with all of the remaining ingredients to a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Stir the soup to combine, cover with a lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS
- Add the ground beef and onion to the instant pot on saute mode. Cook, stirring constantly until beef is browned.
- Turn the instant pot off and add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the pot and set the valve to sealing.
- Cook the soup on manual, high pressure for 5 minutes. One the cooking time is up do a quick release, carefully remove the lid and serve.