Easy Vegetable Soup is a simple but hearty, and savory soup recipe that the whole family will love! You can make this vegetable soup recipe on your stove top or your slow cooker!
This version of veggie soup is my absolute favorite, I have been making it since I can remember. I love that it’s a healthy soup but it’s also really cozy, filling, and welcoming on a cold day. My vegetable soup is incredibly simple to make using diced potatoes, frozen mixed vegetables, and a can of corn. The great thing about this soup is that you can also use any kind of diced fresh vegetables, or all canned vegetables if that’s what you have on hand!
How to Make Vegetable Soup:
- Start by finely dicing half of a large yellow onion.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to the bottom of a large pot and saute the onions for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash 3 medium sized potatoes, peel, and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the potatoes, along with the frozen vegetables, the corn and remaining ingredients to the pot and stir well to combine.
- Turn your heat to low, cover, and simmer the soup for 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Taste the soup and adjust seasonings if needed and serve warm.
SLOW COOKER METHOD:
- Dice your onions and potatoes as listed above.
- Add all of the ingredients into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Taste the soup and adjust seasonings if necessary, then serve.
How Long Does Vegetable Soup Last?
This soup will last in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also allow this soup to cool completely, place in a freezer safe container, and store for up to two months.
What To Serve With Vegetable Soup?
We love to serve this simple soup with a side of warm crusty French bread, Drop Biscuits, crackers, and sometimes a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese!
Easy Vegetable Soup
- 3 Medium Russett Potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil, FOR STOVETOP METHOD ONLY
- 1/2 Yellow Onion finely diced
- 1 16 Ounce Bag Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- 1 15 Ounce Can Corn
- 1 15 Ounce Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 15 Ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2-3 Drops Hot Sauce (Such as Tabasco or Cholula), Optional
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS:
- Wash and peel the potatoes then dice into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the diced potatoes along with all of the remaining ingredients to a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Stir the soup to combine, cover with a lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with crackers, bread, or topped with cheese as desired.
- Store the soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
STOVE TOP DIRECTIONS:
- Follow the steps above for the potatoes.
- Add the diced onion to a large pot over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot and stir to combine.
- Allow the mixture to come to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the soup and simmer for 30-45 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stir and serve immediately.