Easy Homemade Beef Stroganoff – The absolute best mouthwatering beef stroganoff recipe! This traditional stroganoff is so easy to make and a classic family favorite dinner!
Beef stroganoff is a dinner that has been around for ages but never gets old. Everyone in my family adores this classic dinner recipe full of tender beef in a rich and creamy brown gravy. This comfort food is so perfect for the upcoming fall and winter months!
While beef stroganoff is traditionally a recipe of Russian origin, there are many different ways that it is prepared around the world today. The traditional version that we all are accustomed to in the United States combines thin strips of steak that are seared to perfection with mushrooms, onions, and a sour cream gravy!
How to Make Beef Stroganoff:
- For this recipe, I like to use beef round steak. This is a lean cut of steak and it works well in this recipe because it is simply seared, and then simmered slowly in the gravy to keep it nice and tender. If you wish, you can also use ground beef for this stroganoff to keep it a little more budget friendly.
- Once you have pan nice and hot you will sear your sliced steak just until browned, or cook your ground beef until no longer pink. Don’t worry about the steak being cooked through at this point.
- Next, you will remove the steak from the skillet and cook your vegetables until tender. Then, you will sprinkle flour over the vegetables and allow it to cook for one minute. This will be what thickens your sauce.
- Whisk in your beef broth slowly until your sauce is nice and smooth. Then, you will add in your seasonings and the reserved beef.
- At this point, we will allow the beef to simmer in the gravy over low heat for about 10 minutes. Then serve with rice, egg noodles, or mashed potatoes!
Check out our video for how to make Beef Stroganoff below and follow us on FACEBOOK where we share the tastiest recipe videos every day!
Easy Homemade Beef Stroganoff
- 2 Pounds Beef Round Steak Cut into thin strips**
- Salt & Pepper To taste
- 4 Tablespoons Butter Divided
- 2 Cups Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 Large Onion Sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 Cups Beef Broth
- 2 Teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 10 Ounces Cooked Egg Noodles
- Slice the beef across the grain into thin strips. Salt and pepper the beef to taste.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sear the beef strips until browned on all sides. Remove from pan to a plate and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter in the same skillet.
- Cook the mushrooms, onions, and garlic until tender.
- Sprinkle the flour over the cooked vegetables in the skillet and stir for one minute.
- Turn the heat to low and whisk in the beef broth slowly.
- Allow the broth mixture to come to a simmer and thicken.
- Once the mixture has thickened, stir in the Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, paprika, and sour cream.
- Stir in the reserved strips of beef and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve over hot cooked egg noodles.
Looking for more easy dinner recipes? Try these:
- One Pot Creamy Parmesan Chicken and Rice
- One Pot French Onion Beef and Noodles
- Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta