Classic Corn Casserole is a favorite holiday season or easy weeknight side dish! Cornbread, two kinds of corn, and cheese make this irresistible!
Corn casserole/corn pudding, whatever you call it in your house, it's a classic! It's tough for me to decide whether I like this better or our decadent Cheesy Corn recipe. Maybe we'll make both for Thanksgiving this year! This recipe is going up as a part of our classic Thanksgiving recipes over the next couple of weeks. Make sure you also check out our Perfect Roast Turkey and the very best Turkey Gravy to smother it in!
If you haven't had this dish before, you should know that it has a tasty corn bread crust on top of a soft almost custard-like savory center! It's made with super simple ingredients and while maybe traditional for holiday's, it's good all year long just to make boring old canned corn even better.
Ingredients You Need:
- A box of corn muffin mix, I use Jiffy brand because that's our fave, any will work fine.
- Two cans of whole kernel corn (drained or your casserole will be too liquid) and one can of creamed corn
- CREAM CHEESE! This isn't actually traditional, but, I tried it and love the addition so much.
- Sour cream, you can use full fat, light, or fat free they all work fine.
- One large egg, this helps bind the casserole
- Melted butter, I use salted butter, you can use unsalted if you wish.
Making Corn Casserole Ahead:
You can easily make this one ahead so you don't have to stress the day of your big holiday dinner. You can make this ahead and mix everything up, place it in your casserole dish then cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can also bake it, allow it to cool then refrigerate for up to three days and then warm in the oven. If you want to freeze, you need to go ahead and bake as directed then cool completely. Freeze for up to 1 month for best results and allow the casserole to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before cooking.
Classic Corn Casserole
- 2 15 Ounce Cans Whole Kernel Corn, Drained
- 1 15 Ounce Can Creamed Corn
- 1 8 Ounce Package Corn Bread Mix
- 4 Ounces Cream Cheese Softened
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Large Egg
- 6 Tablespoons Butter Melted
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray or butter and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add all of the corn, corn bread mix, softened cream cheese, sour cream, egg, melted butter, and salt and pepper.
- Use a hand mixer on low speed (or a large wooden spoon) to mix until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Spread the corn mixture out evenly in prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes until golden.
Love this! This classic favorite should be on our list for Thanksgiving!!
It's not a holiday without corn casserole!
I make it every Thanksgiving, not sure why only on thanks giving ?? It’s so ? yummy
I love Fall for this! I will try your recipe next time!
Katerina @ diethood .com says
Oh my, this looks incredibly delicious!! My family would LOVE it!!
This looks so good! I love the addition of cream cheese in the recipe! Yum!
Love how creamy this version is!
jade manning says
This looks like a family recipe everyone will love! I am actually making this tonight!
Sara Welch says
What a great recipe and perfect for Thanksgiving! Looking forward to enjoying this over the next few weeks! Delish!