Chocolate zucchini bread is absolutely delicious and super moist and rich! It’s a moist chocolatey bread with added chocolate chips for even more chocolate goodness.
This chocolate zucchini bread is an absolute fave! I love our traditional Zucchini Bread so much, but the chocolate just adds something extra special and rich and decadent. This bread is super easy to make, and the gooey chocolate glaze sends it over the top, but it's optional if you don't want quite that much chocolate too. I love that the zucchini really adds something special to this loaf, but it's also not super noticeable for those that might not want a lot of zucchini texture.
What Do You Need To Make Chocolate Zucchini Bread:
1. Butter - Salted butter was used in this recipe, although this can be substituted with unsalted butter. If using unsalted butter, add ½ teaspoon salt to the batter.
2. Brown sugar - The brown sugar can be substituted for granulated sugar, or a mixture of half brown sugar and half granulated sugar.
3. Eggs - 2 large sized eggs were used in this recipe.
4. Vanilla extract - The vanilla extract can be substituted with vanilla essence, however using vanilla extract will give a better vanilla flavor.
5. Milk - This recipe was made using full fat milk, but reduced fat versions should also work fine.
6. Self rising flour - If you don’t have any self rising flour on hand, mix together 1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder with 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour.
7. Cocoa powder - If possible use a good quality unsweetened cocoa powder.
8. Zucchini - Use fresh zucchinis. There is no need to peel the zucchini before adding to the batter!
9. Powdered sugar - This is used to make the chocolate glaze.
A Few Recipe Notes and Tips:
- The glaze is completely optional and can be left off the bread if preferred. This zucchini bread will taste just as good without it.
- The zucchini bread can be sprinkled with a few extra chocolate chips just before baking if desired. This especially looks nice when not using the glaze.
- There is no need to squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini before adding to the batter. The liquid will add to the zucchini bread, making it extra moist.
- The zucchini can be grated either by using a box grater, or pulsing in a food processor.
- The zucchini bread is cooked through when it springs back when lightly touched. This can also be checked with a skewer or toothpick. Insert the skewer or toothpick into the center of the zucchini bread. If it comes out clean, the bread is done.
- Store the chocolate zucchini bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- This zucchini bread is suitable for freezing. Freeze in an airtight container, either whole or sliced, for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature before enjoying.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread
FOR THE BREAD:
- ½ Cup Melted Butter
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¾ Cup milk
- 1 ¾ Cups Self Rising Flour*** SEE NOTE
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 ½ Cups Grated Zucchini
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
FOR THE GLAZE
- ¾ Cup Powdered Sugar
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Butter softened
- 2 Tablespoons Boiling Water
- Preheat the oven to 320°F/160°c. Grease with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper a 8 ½ inch x 4 ½ inch loaf tin. Set aside.
- Add the melted butter and brown sugar to a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined. Add the eggs, vanilla extract and milk and stir once again until well combined.
- Add the flour and cocoa powder to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold through the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf tin, smoothing the surface. Bake for 50 minutes, or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely in tin.
- To make the glaze, add to a small mixing bowl the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, butter and boiling water. Mix until well combined. Remove the zucchini bread from the tin, place on a serving plate and drizzle over the glaze.
Ferrel Morton says
Can I substitute the flour with whole wheat flour? Or white whole wheat flour?
Louise Schaffer says
I've had zucchini bread before, but never chocolate zucchini bread. It looks so delicious 😋 I will have to make some, My husband doesn't like zucchini so I'll not tell him that it's made with it 😉 😜