Chocolate Chip Muffins with Sugar Crumb Topping are simple, moist, and make an easy breakfast or sweet snack or dessert. Make a double batch and freeze for an on-the-go breakfast any time.
Chocolate Chip Muffins
These muffins are essentially bakery style chocolate chip muffins, with a sweet and crunchy muffin tip. What are bakery style chocolate chip muffins? Most bakeries tend to make their muffins a little special, like with a sugar crumb topping which is what I added to this recipe. It takes only a few extra seconds but adds both flavor and texture. These muffins are sweet and soft, exactly like you’d expect to find in the bakery counter. The key to a perfect chocolate chip muffin is a light and fluffy muffin top, lots of chocolate, and a sweet crunch. I think this recipe highlights all of those! If you're looking for more muffins, try out our Easy Blueberry Muffins too!
Can you Freeze Chocolate Chip Muffins?
Yes! These muffins freeze very well! I recommend making a double batch and freezing the extras. Pull them out of the freezer at night for breakfast in the morning or, as I often do, grab one from the freezer to take to the office. By afternoon, it will be ready to go! Be sure to allow these muffins to cool completely before freezing. Once cooked, they will last in a sealed container on the counter for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Recipe Notes and Tips:
Take care not to over combine all of the ingredients together. You want this muffin mixture to still be a bit lumpy when you pour it into the muffin tray.
Be sure to only fill each cupcake liner ⅔ of the way. If you overfill, the muffin top will spill over the pan.
Mini chocolate chips, chocolate chips and chocolate chunks all work well in this recipe. I used regular chocolate chips but it’s completely up to your preference!
Starting these chocolate chip muffins at a high temperature and then reducing it allows for the fluffy muffin top to form.
Don’t worry about spreading the sugar crumb topping evenly across each cup cake. It’s a crumble, not an icing, so a varying texture is perfectly okay.
Keep an eye out the last few minutes of cooking. While you want a toothpick to come out clean, take care not to overbake and dry out the muffin.
Chocolate Chip Muffins
FOR THE MUFFINS:
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 ¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ⅓ Cup Vegetable Oil
- ¾ Cup Milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 ½ Cups Milk Chocolate Chips
FOR THE TOPPING:
- ⅓ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup All Purpose Flour
- 4 Tablespoons Butter Softened
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with liners or non stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl whisk the vegetable oil, milk, eggs and vanilla extract together until well combined.
- Stir the wet and dry ingredients together until just combined but still lumpy.
- Let it rest while you prepare the crumb topping.
- Using your hands, or a fork, mix the ingredients for the crumb together until it forms a grainy consistency.
- Add two to three tablespoons of the muffin batter to the muffin tin, or fill the liners about ⅔ of the way full.
- Sprinkle the muffins generously with the crumb topping and bake for 7 minutes.
- Reduce the oven heat to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 12-13 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the muffins to stand for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan.
I made these and everyone loved them! Excellent recipe! I used the great value brand chocolate chips and they were decadent!
Sara Welch says
Gave these a try this afternoon and they were exactly what I needed to cure my sweet tooth! My kids enjoyed them for an afternoon snack and loved them, as well! Delicious!
HEATHER PERINE says
OH YES! These are perfection. And that topping is what sends them over the edge!!
Toni Dash says
These muffins are so good!! Everyone at my house loved it!
Toni Dash says
These muffins were so good! My kids loved these!
This is the best way to start a day! Love these muffins!
Such a great idea to make a double batch to freeze one. It would make school mornings easier for my kids just to grab one and have breakfast on the go!
Erin | Dinners,Dishes and Dessert says
These Chocolate Chip Muffins are on my must-make list!
Patricia @ Grab a Plate says
Glad I have this recipe since I haven't been to the bakery lately! These look scrumptious!
Dorothy Reinhold says
Between school and sports my kids are on the go. They will love these muffins! Perfect and yummy option for a grab and go snack.