Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake – This delicious chocolate chip cake is perfect for breakfast with a hot cup of coffee! Super moist and tender from the addition of sour cream, easy to make from scratch!
Ok, you guys. Apparently, I’m just completely obsessed with cake lately. I did just post my Cinnamon Roll Cake last week.
Scratch that, I’m obsessed with cake all the time. I mean, who am I trying to kid here?
But, tis the season for comfort food breakfasts! I’ll personally take any kind of soul warming breakfast food, but I particularly love making sweet treats for my family on the weekend.
Another one that happens to be my kids personal favorite are my Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins. Also a reader fave, so definitely check those out if you haven’t!
I’m just going to load you up with goodies today is what I’m saying. Any and all of these will be great for your upcoming holiday breakfast and brunch needs!
Or, if you’re like me, it’s great for anytime because you wake up craving chocolate and need a good excuse to eat it first thing in the morning!
So, this cake is super simple to make. If you’ve been around my site and enjoy my recipes, you know that I’m not exactly a “layer cake” kind of girl. I like them from scratch when possible, but not too fussy.
Room temperature ingredients are always best if possible. Let your butter and eggs sit out for a good 30 minutes before mixing this up if you can. In a pinch you can soften your butter in the microwave, just make sure to do it in 5 second intervals so that it doesn’t melt.
This cake is super buttery, moist, melt in your mouth and that comes from one simple ingredient, which is sour cream! It makes this cake absolutely spectacular.
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 Cups All purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Stick butter room temperature
- 2 Large Eggs room temp
- 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
- 1/2 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips
FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9x9 inch square baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl or bowl of stand mixer beat together the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the eggs in one at a time mixing after each addition. In a measuring cup whisk together the milk and sour cream. Add to the butter mixture and mix until well combined.
- With the mixer running on low add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients (I do this in thirds). Fold in chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the topping and extra chocolate chips. Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean.
FOR THE TOPPING:
- Add the butter, cinnamon, flour and brown sugar to a medium bowl. Use two forks to cut the butter into the flour mixture until everything is combined and the mixture is crumbly.
- Alternately, you can place all of the topping ingredients into your food processor and pulse until coarse crumbs are formed.