Cheesy Buffalo Stuffed Chicken Breast – Tender and juicy chicken breasts are stuffed with a mouthwatering mixture of mozzarella cheese and bacon! This stuffed chicken is cooked with buffalo sauce for an easy and tasty dinner!
What is Stuffed Chicken Breast?
Stuffed chicken is just what you think it is! Large chicken breasts that are cut horizontally through the middle and stuffed with a super tasty filling! For this recipe, our chicken breasts are stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese, mozzarella, bacon, and green onions.
How to Cook Stuffed Chicken:
Stuffed chicken is super easy to cook! There is no need to even heat up your oven for this recipe. Cheesy Buffalo Stuffed Chicken Breast is cooked to perfection right on your stove top. You will simply need a large skillet with a tight fitting lid. If you are using something like a cast iron skillet that doesn’t have a lid, you can just cover it with foil.
After the chicken is stuffed (see tips below!) you will smother it with buffalo sauce. Then, place it directly into your piping hot skillet of olive oil and put the lid on the skillet. The chicken will cook for 7 minutes, flip, then another 6-7 minute on the other side with the lid on as well. It is important to make sure that chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees before consuming. If you prefer, you can sear the chicken, then bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Tips for Making Cheesy Buffalo Stuffed Chicken Breast:
- Watch the video below. While it is a short video, you can see how I cut a “pocket” into the chicken breast. You will slice through the chicken about 3/4 of the way through.
- Use LARGE chicken breasts. The recipe calls for 2 to 2 1/2 pounds total. This will be about 3-4 chicken breasts.
- Don’t overstuff your chicken. You will stuff each breast with about 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture total.
- Secure the chicken with toothpicks to hold in the filling. This step is optional, but, it can be helpful. You can see in the video that I did not use toothpicks to hold my chicken together. However, if you are worried about the filling coming out, just secure the chicken with two toothpicks per breast.
Cheesy Buffalo Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 3 Ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 6 Slices Bacon , Cooked and Crumbled
- 3/4 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 Green Onions Sliced
- 2 Pounds Chicken Breasts 2-4
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Cup Buffalo Wings Sauce
- In a small bowl mix together the cream cheese, crumbled bacon, mozzarella, and green onions until well combined.
- Lay the chicken breasts out on a cutting board. Make a pocket in each piece of chicken by making an even, horizontal, slice 3/4 of the way through each piece.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Stuff each piece of chicken with about 2 Tablespoons of filling. Secure the chicken pockets with toothpicks if desired.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the olive oil is hot, add the chicken to the skillet and pour over 1/2 of the buffalo sauce.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and allow the chicken to cook for 7 minutes.
- Flip the chicken, pour on the remaining buffalo sauce.
- Replace the lid and cook for 6-7 more minutes until chicken is cooked through.
Be sure to follow along with us on FACEBOOK and try out these other tasty chicken dinner recipes: