Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole is easy to make using store bought cinnamon rolls and a simple caramel apple topping! This cozy breakfast bake is perfect for fall brunch!
Apple French Toast Casserole:
If you love apple season as much as I do, this bake is a MUST for brunch! I modeled this one after our Bananas Foster French Toast Casserole that has been a huge hit here on the blog. The caramel apple topping is truly out of this world and the soft cinnamon roll french toast underneath makes it mouthwatering! I love the texture here because the apples are soft but still have a bite to them. The caramel sauce is rich and creamy, and of course the canned cinnamon rolls make the best faux french toast with no effort at all. This casserole is on the sweeter side so it's a great one to serve with something salty like bacon or sausage for brunch. Honestly, you could even serve it as a dessert with a big scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream too!
How to Make Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole:
- Preheat your oven to 375 and either lightly butter or spray a 9x13 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- You will need 2 (8 count each) packages of refrigerated cinnamon rolls (any brand is fine). Separate the rolls and cut each one into 6 pieces. Then, toss them into the dish. Save the icing that comes with the rolls to drizzle on top if you want!
- Now just whisk up your mixture of eggs, cream (or half & half), flour, cinnamon and vanilla until no egg white streaks are left. Make sure it's well combined and then pour over the rolls evenly and bake!
- I wait to make the caramel apple sauce until the casserole comes out of the oven because it's really so fast. But, you can make it sooner if you want.
Making the Caramel Apple Sauce:
- Melt your butter (I use salted) in a medium pot.
- Whisk in the brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Whisk constantly!
- Bring your caramel mixture to a bubble and whisk it the whole time for 2 minutes to let everything combine.
- Now, stir in the apples using a spatula and let them cook, while you stir the whole time to get everything combined and the apples are slightly softened and warmed through.
- As you can see my apples were chopped in differing sizes. You chopped apple pieces don't have to be perfect! I'd say about ¼-1/2 inches is best.
Caramel Apple French Toast Casserole
For the French Toast:
- 2 8 Count Each Tubes Cinnamon Rolls
- ½ Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
French Toast Topping:
- ½ Cup Butter 1 Stick
- 1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 4 Large Apples Cored and Cut into Cubes
- ⅓ Cup Chopped Pecans or Walnuts OPTIONAL
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Separate the cinnamon rolls into 16 rolls total and cut each roll into 6 pieces. Place the rolls in the prepared baking dish.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cream, eggs, flour, cinnamon and vanilla extract until well combined. Pour the egg mixture over the rolls and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden and cooked through.
FOR THE TOPPING:
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Bring the mixture to a bubble, whisking constantly.
- Stir in the sliced apples and nuts if using. Stir constantly for 2-3 minutes until heated through.
- Pour the caramel apple sauce immediately over the casserole, spreading out with a spatula if needed.