These blackberry biscuits are simple to put together any time of the day – soft, tender biscuits that are bursting with berries, and topped with a sweet and savory brown butter glaze.
Come find me on PINTEREST to keep all of your favorite recipes from The Salty Marshmallow in one easy spot!
There is pretty much one reason, and one reason only why I made these biscuits. I am completely, overly, ridiculously obsessed to the max with brown butter on anything right now!
Even better if that brown butter is sweet and savory, obviously.
Drop biscuits were one of the first things that I ever started baking, probably for obvious reasons – it was basically something I knew I couldn’t possibly screw up. One bowl, multiple options for add ins, super quick for breakfast or dinner. Every home-baker’s quick and to the table dream!
I chose blackberries for these biscuits because I feel like poor blackberries always get left out of my life. I use blueberries, and strawberries, you name it, and blackberries are always so tart and juicy and delicious and why am I not using them in my baking more?!
So, the other day, when I contemplated my blackberry-less life in Target….and my kids were like, mom why are you staring at the fruit like that?? I decided that these berries would be even better with browned butter, because like I said before it pretty much needs to be on everything.
There are a lot of flavors going on in these biscuits, and let me tell you, it just works. Tart blackberries, zesty lemon to keep them fresh and perky little guys, cinnamon to give them that warm feel, then that sweet and savory browned butter glaze that is so nutty and delicious.
Nothing is better than warm biscuits out of the oven, unless they have fruit in them and a healthy brown butter coating.
I’m beginning to wonder how many times I’ve said “brown butter” today.
I’m also not going to tell you how many of these I devoured.
Printable Recipe below.
**NOTE: I used fresh blackberries in this recipe, and do not recommend using frozen.
- 2 Cups all purpose flour spooned and leveled
- 1 Tbsp . Baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp . Salt
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup melted butter cooled, 1 stick
- 1 Cup milk very cold
- 1 Tbsp . Lemon juice
- 1/2 Tsp . ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 Cup blackberries
- Brown Butter Glaze
- 4 Tbsp . butter
- 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp . milk
- 1/4 Tsp . vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Prepare a large cookie sheet with non stick spray or parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon with a whisk for 2 minutes.
- In a small bow stir together the cooled melted butter, lemon juice, vanilla and cold milk until small lumps start to form.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just combined.
- Drop biscuits immediately onto prepared pan in heaping tablespoons.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes.
- Melt butter over low heat, whisking constantly until it starts to brown.
- Remove brown butter from heat and whisk in the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until well combined.
- Drizzle glaze over biscuits as desired.