Beer Cheese Dip is warm, gooey, and so easy to make at home from scratch in 15 minutes! This beer cheese is perfect with soft pretzels, chips or veggies!
Saying that this dip is totally addicting is putting it mildly! I have been in love with a good beer cheese for years, and could eat it on anything, every single day! I first used it on the blog in one of our first ever recipes for Loaded Irish Nachos. Still one of my fave ways to use it, try it out! Beer cheese is popular at a lot of pubs, and many different restaurants now as an appetizer. Beer cheese is made of a super simple roux of flour and butter to start. Then, milk, your favorite beer, dijon, garlic, hot sauce, and salt for flavor. Last but not least, plenty of sharp cheddar cheese makes this dip the best! Although, you can definitely experiment with your favorite cheeses, as well as beers. There's not much to it at all, this recipe is basically fool-proof! We love serving this with our homemade Soft Pretzel Bites, it's also really good with plain potato chips, toasted baguette, garlic bread, or any of your favorite sliced up vegetables.
Beer Cheese Recipe Notes and Tips:
- As far as milk goes, I typically always use 2% regular cows milk in this recipe. It works fine with whole milk, or even half & half or heavy cream if you want an even richer dip!
- For the cheeses, I typically prefer sharp cheddar because it gives that nice cheesy kind of tang we're looking for. I like the cheese flavor to be super pronounced in this dip! You can use mild cheddar or even white cheddar if you wish. The most IMPORTANT step is to make sure you are using freshly grated cheese! Don't try to use bagged pre-shredded cheese in this recipe. It will make your dip clump up into a ball and won't be smooth and creamy.
- Beer: You can use a dark beer, pale, wheat beer, or lager. I often use a Guinness dark beer because I like the dark beer flavor. Keep in mind that using a darker beer will result in a more pronounced beer flavor. If you want it more mild, use a lighter beer. Don't use a fruit or citrusy style beer.
- This dip can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. You can reheat it on the stove top over low heat, whisk constantly, and add milk to thin it out if necessary.
Beer Cheese Dip
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- ¾ Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Beer
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Yellow, or Grainy Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½-1 teaspoon Hot Sauce
- 2 Cups Freshly Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Very slowly add in the milk whisking constantly.
- Stir in the beer, mustard, garlic, salt and hot sauce and allow to come to a bubble. Continue stirring until thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the cheese 1 cup at a time stirring after each addition.
- Serve immediately with soft pretzels, potato chips, toasted bread, or veggies.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Leave a Reply