Apple Fritters are a homemade mini fried cinnamon sugar donut with the best simple sweet glaze! The perfect recipe to make at home for a 30 minute sweet treat or breakfast!
We LOVE apple fritters in this house! They are possibly my favorite fall treat ever. These along with Pumpkin Cake, I could definitely eat every single day of fall! If you're going to try a fall sweet from our blog, make it this one! Yes, of course you can buy apple fritters at a bakery, but there is nothing like homemade and they're really easy! There is nothing like biting into one of these babies when they are still just pillowy soft, warm, and sweet! They are melt in your mouth good!
What Are Apple Fritters Made Of?
- First things first, whisk together your dry ingredients in a large bowl: Flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and a pinch of nutmeg. Just whisk for a minute or so until combined, if you have a few lumps its ok!
- Now beat your eggs in a separate large bowl and add in milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Just whisk until you don't see any streaks of egg remaining.
- Then, add your dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold together just until combined and you don't see any white streaks. Do this part gently with a spatula or large spoon. Don't over-mix.
- Then, you can fry! Heat the oil for 5 minutes until it's 350-375 degrees Fahrenheit. To test the oil, drop a pea sized amount of batter in and if it sizzles and starts to turn golden right away you're good to go. Place the fried fritters on a paper towel lined baking sheet or wire rack lined sheet to cool slightly before glazing.
Apple Fritters Recipe Notes and Tips:
- It is best to use vegetable or canola oil for this recipe. When you are measuring out the oil, don't stress. Two to three cups of oil works fine and it should be about 1 ½-2 inches deep.
- Don't worry about testing your oil with a thermometer if you don't have one. You can test to see if your oil is hot enough by dropping about ¼ teaspoon of the batter into the oil. If it sizzles and starts to turn golden right away, the oil is ready. It takes about 5-6 minutes on my stovetop at medium-high heat for the oil to be ready.
- You MUST fry these in batches of 3-4 at a time for them to turn out. Once the fritters hit the oil, it is a quick process and each batch only needs about 2 minutes total, being flipped once. If your fritters are soggy, your oil isn't hot enough or you are cooking too many at a time.
- I like to do a couple of things ahead so that we can eat these right away! Go ahead and grab a baking sheet line it with two layers of paper towels or top with a wire rack. Placing the cooked fritters on the rack keeps them crispier on the outside if that's important to you.
FOR THE FRITTERS:
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Nutmeg OPTIONAL
- 2 Large Eggs Beaten
- ¾ Cup Milk
- 3 Tablespoons Butter Melted
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Honeycrisp or Granny Smith Apples Peeled and Diced
- Vegetable or Canola Oil for frying
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- ¼ Cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Ground Cinnamon
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, both sugars, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the beaten egg with the milk, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined, do not over mix. Then, fold in the chopped apples.
- Heat a few inches (about 2-3 Cups) of oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes or until about 350 degrees.
- Drop the batter by ¼ Cup per fritter into the oil, cooking only two fritters at a time. Cook each fritter for about 4 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove the cooked fritters to a paper towel lined plate and repeat with remaining batter.
- Allow the fritters to cool for a few minutes until cool enough to handle. Then, dunk in the glaze or drizzle over as desired.
- Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined.