Oatmeal Crumble Baked Apples are so easy to make and stuffed with a mouthwatering brown sugar, cinnamon, oat filling! The perfect breakfast or dessert treat for fall!
The first week of fall calls for the perfect, sweet, apple dessert! These are so simple and the best way to use the bounty of amazingly caramel tasting autumn apples right now! If you’ve gone apple picking, this is a great way to use up what you’ve got, and the whole family loves these! These apples are stuffed with a sweet brown sugar oatmeal cookie crumble kind of filling! It is sort of like a good old Apple Crisp, in reverse! These are so pretty too, and it’s a lot of fun to eat them right out of the apple and have your very own serving. We also love this dessert because it’s decadent, gorgeous enough to serve to company, and a really fun one to make together as a family! It’s also great at being that cozy dessert that takes care of your fall sweet tooth cravings, but it’s not a heavy weigh you down dessert, love that! If you’re here looking for more fall desserts, try our Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins and these sweet Pecan Pie Bars!
Baked Apple Recipe Notes and Tips:
- I love using Gala apples for this recipe! They are crisp, and just sweet enough to also let the filling shine through. They’re nice and firm too so they hold their shape well and wont turn to mush during baking. You can also use Honey crisp, granny smith, or Jonagold apples! They hold their shape as well, and have such good flavor.
- You can follow the photo above as kind of a guide to cutting the apples! Simply slice the top off the apples, then you will use a spoon or melon baller to scoop out the inside. As you can see, you’ll want to leave a good 1/2 inch or so border on the apples to keep the filling in!
- Serve these baked apples topped with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and a drizzle of caramel or chocolate sauce as desired!
Oatmeal Crumble Baked Apples
- 6 Gala Apples*
- 1 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
- ½ Cup All Purpose Flour
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons Butter at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and cut the tops of the apples off.
- Using a melon baller or a spoon, remove the insides of the apples, leaving only a small, 1/2 inch border.
- In a large bowl, mix the oats, flour, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together.
- Then, using your hands or a fork, mix in the butter until the mixture forms a light crumble.
- Fill the apples with the crumble to the top and slightly overflowing.
- Place them in a 9x13 baking dish, or a smaller pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the apples are soft on the outside and are a light golden color.
- Serve with whip topping, ice cream, and caramel sauce.